Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Pluggy Plugs » online automatic loop maker

online automatic loop maker

Uncool Bob
permalink   Mon, Jan 2, 2006 @ 7:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently launched the ”Stream of Slack” - a web-based prototype for a totally new way of making music with virtually zero effort. Here’s a summary of how it works:

1. We decide on a tempo, time signature and a set of samples, synths and effects to use.

2. We make a RANDOM loop using the samples, synths and effects, and stream it to you over the web.

3. You decide if you like it or not.

4. We make another loop and stream it to you.

5. Go to 3.

After a short while (around half an hour) you’ll notice that the loops are getting better and you’re hearing the things you liked more than the things you didn’t like. If you can’t wait that long, you can come back later after other people have taken it further.

The loops are already pretty cool (far from random), and there are over 40 free ogg/mp3 loops to download. More loops are added continuously as the stream evolves and you can do what you like with them. The loops are not currently broken down into separate tracks, but I can do this offline and upload the WAVs here at ccmixter if you tell me which ones you want.

All comments welcome - and I hope you like it!

thanks,

Rev. Ken Cabal
leanbackproductions.com
anonymous
permalink   Mon, Jan 2, 2006 @ 11:30 PM
It all looks quite odd and interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

Quote: Hi everyone,

I recently launched the ”Stream of Slack” - a web-based prototype for a totally new way of making music with virtually zero effort. Here’s a summary of how it works:

1. We decide on a tempo, time signature and a set of samples, synths and effects to use.

2. We make a RANDOM loop using the samples, synths and effects, and stream it to you over the web.

3. You decide if you like it or not.

4. We make another loop and stream it to you.

5. Go to 3.

After a short while (around half an hour) you’ll notice that the loops are getting better and you’re hearing the things you liked more than the things you didn’t like. If you can’t wait that long, you can come back later after other people have taken it further.

The loops are already pretty cool (far from random), and there are over 40 free ogg/mp3 loops to download. More loops are added continuously as the stream evolves and you can do what you like with them. The loops are not currently broken down into separate tracks, but I can do this offline and upload the WAVs here at ccmixter if you tell me which ones you want.

All comments welcome - and I hope you like it!

thanks,

Rev. Ken Cabal
leanbackproductions.com
Uncool Bob
permalink   Sat, Jan 14, 2006 @ 9:00 AM
update: all loops and tracks on leanbackproductions.com are now creative commons license 2.5 - have fun with them!
victor
permalink   Sat, Jan 14, 2006 @ 1:02 PM
omg it’s BOB!! I haven’t heard from him in 30 (?) years… it makes total sense that he would have a resurgance on the web.

and the site is really neat idea — I always liked church music best ;)
PorchCat
permalink   Mon, Jan 23, 2006 @ 4:40 PM
Quote: omg it’s BOB!! I haven’t heard from him in 30 (?) years… it makes total sense that he would have a resurgance on the web.

and the site is really neat idea — I always liked church music best ;)

It’s about freekin’ time. You know how many X Days I’ve wasted in drunken stoned orgies with no meaning … wait did I say wasted? I would praise Bob, but you know, feeling the slack at the moment.

*meow*
Uncool Bob
permalink   Sun, Jul 30, 2006 @ 4:10 AM
Hi all,

When I discovered that Windows Media Player was never going to work properly with the Stream of Slack I decided to rewrite the whole user interface. Now we use Flash to play the loops - so nothing can go wrong unless the you don’t have Flash player installed.

http://leanbackproductions....

The next step is to set up another remix channel with content purely from ccMixter. Will probably post another thread asking for your suggestions.

hope you like the new version!

permalink   Uncool Bob Sun, Aug 6, 2006 @ 4:28 PM
decided to go for musetta/ophelia’s song, watch this space…

permalink   Uncool Bob Sat, Aug 19, 2006 @ 1:08 PM
Two new remix channels using Ophelia’s song samples are available here as of a few minutes ago:

http://leanbackproductions....