Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Upload lyrics (just words)?

Upload lyrics (just words)?

Sons of Korah
permalink   Sat, Dec 10, 2005 @ 12:19 PM
Hi everyone, I’m new to ccMixter. My interest is in writing metrical lyrics for songs, with the hope that someone could pick them up and do great things with them—create tunes, remix the lyrics, etc. My prefered license is By-ShareAlike. I also look for existing tunes to write lyrics for. I couldn’t find any option to upload words for songs—the closest to this feature is pre-sung a cappella samples.

Is there any such feature for uploading just words, or could you take a request for that?

~ Chitu
OakHonour
permalink   Sun, Dec 11, 2005 @ 1:31 PM
Good plan, I can’t write lyrics to save myself.

Thom
victor
permalink   Mon, Dec 12, 2005 @ 1:51 PM
I discussed this with Jon (the admin of the site) and the site really isn’t set up to take plain text samples. One rather cheesy workaround would be to put the text file in a ZIP and upload it as ‘original’ material (at that point you might as copy the whole lyric into the description feild as well).

There’s always a hope that singers and songwriters would contribute original material for remixing so that would be a good thing for the site.
Sons of Korah
permalink   Wed, Dec 14, 2005 @ 11:22 AM
Thanks for your responses. Sorry for the delay in responding—I was expecting to get e-mail when someone replied. I have the “Notify me when a reply is posted” option checked, but I didn’t receive any notification; I just happened to check the forum today. Am I missing something?

Quote: One rather cheesy workaround would be to put the text file in a ZIP and upload it as ‘original’ material (at that point you might as copy the whole lyric into the description feild as well).

Not a bad idea—I think that would be quite workable. Is there a tag for text-only lyrics? That would make it possible for song lyrics to be findable.
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Dec 19, 2005 @ 10:57 AM
Quote: Thanks for your responses. Sorry for the delay in responding—I was expecting to get e-mail when someone replied. I have the “Notify me when a reply is posted” option checked, but I didn’t receive any notification; I just happened to check the forum today. Am I missing something?

Quote: One rather cheesy workaround would be to put the text file in a ZIP and upload it as ‘original’ material (at that point you might as copy the whole lyric into the description feild as well).

Not a bad idea—I think that would be quite workable. Is there a tag for text-only lyrics? That would make it possible for song lyrics to be findable.

I write poetry and loved it last year when a fellow off-site collaborated with me on a folk song using my poem, so I appreciate your thinking on this.

I think that another work-around might be to
set up a link in your user id to your lyrics,
and then have a forum post alerting people they’re there. It’s a suggestion rather than the answer, as I’m not sure if that would really work or not.
zotz
permalink   Mon, Jan 30, 2006 @ 3:43 PM
Quote: Hi everyone, I’m new to ccMixter. My interest is in writing metrical lyrics for songs, with the hope that someone could pick them up and do great things with them—create tunes, remix the lyrics, etc. My prefered license is By-ShareAlike. I also look for existing tunes to write lyrics for. I couldn’t find any option to upload words for songs—the closest to this feature is pre-sung a cappella samples.

Is there any such feature for uploading just words, or could you take a request for that?

~ Chitu

cool.

i am another by-sa lyric writer. i too am looking for people to work with my stuff. i addition, i work with local musicians and expect to be recording some stuff with them for posting here.

all the best,

drew
———
BY-SA Song Contest.
$1,000.00 prize.
Comments desired.