Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » FreeMixter - the Free! Music! Contest 2011

FreeMixter - the Free! Music! Contest 2011

musikpirat
permalink   Tue, Jul 5, 2011 @ 9:49 PM
Since july 1st registrations for this year’s Free! Music! Contest are open. The contest run by Musikpiraten e.V. takes places the third time and has already reached some international publicity in the Creative Commons music scene. This year’s focus is on enabling remixes - as the motto indicates. Beside of the publication on the Free! Music! Sampler and a live gig in germany prizes worth more than 1.000 Euro can be won.

As a musical patron the canadian Allison Crowe could be won. Crowe has become worldwide known for her interpretaion of “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. She releases her own work under Creative Commons at jamendo.com for years. In her function as the patron Allison Crowe makes a delicate gift to the Creative Commons remix scene: She released a acapella version and piano tracks of “Spiral”. They can be downloaded in high quality at the Musikpiraten’s server and be used for own Songs.

The first two years the Free! Music! Contest was more a “Shareable! Music! Contest”. “Free” has been used in the sense of “free beer” instead of in “freedom”. All published songs were free to be copied and shared, but commercial use and - what’s even more important - creating derrivate works has not been allowed for a lot of songs. The concept worked out: More than 130 bands and artists coming from over 30 countries joined the contest and a very well balanced sampler has been produced. But has this been the right way? Does only size matter? The Musikpirat say firmly “No!”. So this year the rules habe been changed. Freedom rulez free beer.

We already had a couple of uploads here at ccmixter, hopefully there are more to come.

More details about rules/registration can be found here.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Wed, Jul 6, 2011 @ 4:34 PM
Cool! I just visited the link you posted here and, wow, at first glance this event looks awesome.

I’m not one for contests really, but I’m grateful that you included ccMixter as a community in this event…and you did it in a freedom, not free as beer, kind of way.

I think I’ll participate, if time allows :-)

Thanks!

Jason
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Jul 6, 2011 @ 6:03 PM
Thanks for highlighting ccMixter as part of your contest. I enjoyed participating last year - looking forward to this year too! Your support of ccMixter and its music (especially with your Catch of the Day!) is truly appreciated. Peace.
Kara Square
permalink   Mon, Jul 11, 2011 @ 8:51 AM
Your support of ccM is so darn cool. I’m working on a ditty with my bandmate (in Team Smile and Nod) for this years contest. Dig your contest rule updates, too.

permalink   musikpirat Wed, Jul 13, 2011 @ 10:39 AM
Pure selfishness: I’m a ccixter-junkie and always looking for fresh hot shots. :)