Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Luck of The Draw

Luck of The Draw

spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sat, Mar 12, 2011 @ 6:39 PM
The first Secret Mixter of 2011 is about to go live! Looking forward to finding out who mixes who! Have Fun mixing!

Post your thoughts, your notes, comments whatever right here.

Good Luck ;-)

SM
Abstract Audio
permalink   Sat, Mar 12, 2011 @ 11:09 PM
Finally

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sun, Mar 13, 2011 @ 8:50 AM
Yeah! And the cool thing about secret mixter events—everyone gets lucky!
;-)

HAPPY MIXING!
Admiral Bob
permalink   Wed, Mar 16, 2011 @ 9:20 PM
Well, I thought I was going to have a tough time. A really tough time. Then I had an epiphany, and I’m on track.

How’s it going everyone?

permalink   Kirkoid Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 3:11 AM
Its going well, I have had a similar experience to you. The beauty is I would never have thought to do a track like this on my own, although saying that, I do seem to be following a theme this year…

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 8:47 AM
I hear ya. The secret mixter is making go down some roads I probably wouldn’t normally go… but I like that.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 7:47 AM
My project is still in the Research and Development phase. :)

So far I’ve just had my assignment’s tracks playing while I work and have been taking some notes and hoping inspiration strikes.

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 8:48 AM
That’s a good way to do it. Hope it hits you with something awesome. :)

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:40 PM
I’m also in the R&D phase. My assignment is very challenging, and I’ve been stuck in bed with a neck injury this week. I’ve been doing a lot of listening at least, and today, am feeling improved enough to boot up my pro tools rig. wish me luck!!!

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:41 PM
Oh, and Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 1:10 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully some green beer will dull the pain today!

permalink   Abstract Audio Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 3:32 PM
Well I had a burst of inspiration when I was browsing through the uploads. Combined with the 2 days (sun & monday) without any appointments I got pretty far.

But for some reason this only happens at a SM. I’ve tried the SM concept once outside it and nothing happened.

permalink   ScOmBer Thu, Mar 17, 2011 @ 8:33 PM
Wow, secret mixter certainly gets us all our of our comfort zones. Good luck everyone. I need it.

permalink   reusenoise Sat, Mar 19, 2011 @ 8:59 AM
First time i have some difficult to do a remix,my assignament it’s really good material,and I don’t want “banalize” it ;-)

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Mar 19, 2011 @ 1:00 PM
Finally had a breakthrough so now I can make some progress, but it is definitely a challenge!

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Mar 23, 2011 @ 2:23 PM
well, my assignment is definitely taking me out of my comfort zone. i was really stuck for a while, then experienced a couple of days of ‘flow’ but am back in the mud again. here’s to inspiration! (come back!)
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sat, Mar 19, 2011 @ 7:28 PM
Wow, what a week it’s been…the supermoon, the tsunami’s, and the ides of March were devastating. And this year’s Leprechauns were especially nasty. Why??? Who knows. It makes me sad.

Personally, I had a hard time concentrating on my mix…so I just gave up really. I just rough mixed a stereo bed track of what I have so far and listened to it while I was dealing with the curve balls being thrown at me. Kinda like a simmering sauce on the back burner. Hopefully the flavor will kick in next week!

It looks like from the posts here that a few other secret mixters are finding this event a bit of a challenge too. So I found this article online about mixing tips as an offering.

Maybe some of these ideas will bring you luck as you follow your muse!

http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_mixing_strategies_pros/

Life has meaning only in the struggle. Triumph or defeat is in the hands of the Gods. So let us celebrate the struggle!
Stevie Wonder

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, Mar 21, 2011 @ 8:30 AM
That’s a good link. Particularly the “less is more” and “have a plan Stan” rules.

I’ve kind of discovered that I have to have some idea of where I’m going to go in my head. And that might not be where I end up: but I find I have a hard time to do more than play around with samples unless I have some sort of vision for where I’m supposed to end up. :)

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Mar 21, 2011 @ 10:57 AM
Quote: spinningmerkabaMaybe some of these ideas will bring you luck as you follow your muse!

http://emusician.com/tutori...

I guess that shows me what a lot of your are faced with right now a blank page.
Anyway what helped me last SM with merkaba’s track was just putting things togheter that I liked. At first they where 3 diffrent ideas but in the end they became one. I used that same strategy this year and it works very well.

permalink   debbizo Sat, Mar 26, 2011 @ 3:55 AM
Quote: Abstract Audio… what helped me last SM with merkaba’s track was just putting things togheter that I liked. …

That’s the path I’ve taken this time…putting together parts that I like. I’m not sure how the end results will be received, but I had fun doing them and was quite inspired.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Tue, Mar 22, 2011 @ 9:29 AM
Hey thanks for that link! Really good read.

I’m going to have to try that suggestion of using reverb as a front-to-rear panner. That had never occurred to me but makes sense. Yay for new mixing tricks!

Also, a very poignant observation near the end:

“It’s funny that as we increase sampling rates and bit rates in the recording side of music, the public is moving the other way and downgrading from CD to MP3.”
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Mar 25, 2011 @ 9:38 AM
Well, despite nature throwing her best obstacles in my way (tsunamis, mudslides, floods, power outages), I’m still tracking to finish on time. Production warriors know failure (to complete) is not an option.

I feel like Leonidas at the Battle of Thermopylae.

permalink   Admiral Bob Fri, Mar 25, 2011 @ 11:55 AM
TONIGHT… WE DINE…. AT STEVE’S!!!!

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Mar 25, 2011 @ 12:48 PM
Madness? This….is….SPARTA!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Mar 26, 2011 @ 11:03 AM
Are you standing in your studio like Maximus, arms out wide asking

“Are you not entertained?”
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sat, Mar 26, 2011 @ 9:55 PM
Uploading is enabled, time to show us what you’ve got!

permalink   Abstract Audio Sat, Mar 26, 2011 @ 11:28 PM
Listening and enjoying right now :D
Abstract Audio
permalink   Sat, Mar 26, 2011 @ 11:27 PM
This time everybody was able to do there remix in time?? That’s perfect :)

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 1:07 AM
I better go to bed. 4:19 in the AM… still haven’t heard it all, but I’ve got to get up in three hours. :)

permalink   Abstract Audio Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 4:43 AM
You people cheat you can listen to the remixes allready on saturday :P.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 5:01 AM
The playlist isn’t working correctly for me it only goes to once upon a time from deb :(

permalink   Abstract Audio Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 8:30 AM
crazy playlist now it works fine

permalink   debbizo Mon, Mar 28, 2011 @ 4:44 AM
That could be my fault for uploading too many.

permalink   Abstract Audio Tue, Mar 29, 2011 @ 8:44 AM
how can that be a fault ;)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 9:34 AM
i’m loving the secret mixter contributions! such excellent music. i noticed a few folks haven’t been given attribution in the ‘featuring’ field and/or the ‘sources’. to make sure we’re all given the right attribution to each other, i hope everyone will go out of their way to attribute in these ways (plus, it is required to comply with CC license).

back to listening! :)
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 6:03 PM
So there’s a bunch of people who signed up for this party and didn’t bring any favors, who probably received something already, but didn’t bother to send anything in for whatever reason. These people probably know who they are so I’m not going to name names. But if you can’t be bothered to do what’s expected, please don’t play in the future. We’re not asking for anything above what you signed up for. If there’s a really extenuating and valid reason for not doing something, let one of us admin folks know, but silence isn’t really golden here.

And to the folks who got/get stiffed, one of us will have you covered. Hopefully it won’t come down to that (again) but no mixter gets left behind.

permalink   Abstract Audio Sun, Mar 27, 2011 @ 11:12 PM
Will these people be excluded next time???

And if needed i’d like to volunteer

permalink   debbizo Mon, Mar 28, 2011 @ 4:43 AM
I’m happy to help with a remix.

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, Mar 28, 2011 @ 6:13 AM
You guys are awesome. Stay tuned… we might take you up on it. :)
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Mar 29, 2011 @ 8:22 AM
Thanks to all the mixters who participated in Luck of the Draw, esp. MCJ and Sackjo22. Both stepped up in the 11th hour and produced no mixter left behind mixes.

Each secret mixter has it’s own signature sound, and overall feel that emerges out of mix as an overall body of work ( 52 mixes).

Can you explain it? Share your thoughts and continue the mixversation.

permalink   Abstract Audio Tue, Mar 29, 2011 @ 8:52 AM
Had troubles keeping my eyes open at work today, but had real fun with this secret mixter. Once again really HQ uploads from al the contenders

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Mar 29, 2011 @ 9:53 AM
Yes, I know the feeling. Sorry I forget to mention your no mixter left behind mix mission, which was beautifully executed ;-)

permalink   Admiral Bob Tue, Mar 29, 2011 @ 3:50 PM
I heard rumours on the internets there might have been a third person involved in ensuring no one got left behind :)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Mar 29, 2011 @ 7:04 PM
A forth even perhaps! Thanks Admiral for saving a man who could have been lost at sea!