Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » How hard is secret mixter?

How hard is secret mixter?

Admiral Bob
permalink   Wed, Jun 2, 2010 @ 6:39 AM
For those of us who haven’t done it before. :)
kthugha
permalink   Fri, Jun 4, 2010 @ 4:44 PM
I am going to cop-out by telling you exactly what i need to hear. Secret mixter is not hard, it is only and exactly what you want it to be. You are given source material with which to write song. All other parameters are self-inflicted and you have only yourself to blame or congratulate when it’s done. I, personally, always end up surprised by what I have ended up creating with secret mixter, because the starting parameters are more concrete. When I write my own music, there is an endless multiverse of possibilities, but when constrained to a “use some of this” parameter, I often find creating something out of that to actually be easier than starting from scratch.
essesq
permalink   Sat, Jun 5, 2010 @ 8:19 AM
Admiralbob, on the one hand it is very easy because of the time limit. For people like me who are loathe to let stuff go to completion because they fret over everything that time limit is a godsend. You can’t sit and worry, you just have to get it done…and you can also cut yourself some slack because you only had two weeks. On the other hand, you will get stuff thrown at you that may not be your “cuppa”, as they say, so that will inevitably pose a challenge.

I think it’s a lot of fun. I’m sitting this one out because I have a lot of stuff on my plate these next few weeks and I don’t want to commit and not do my best. It’s a great musical “exercise” and there’s also a lot of energy amongst all the participants.

If it is a challenge, it’s well worth it. The two times I did it I was very glad I did.
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Jun 5, 2010 @ 7:36 PM
I used to own a Geo Metro, a little red sub-compact car. I liked that Metro, because it solved a lot of questions for me:
“could I rush and make that yellow light?” The answer was no.
“can I pass this guy?” The answer was no.
“can I make it up this hill very quickly?”. The answer was no.

I like secret mixter because it answers a great question for me—“which samples will I use to make this remix?”. Secret mixter is even better than a 1994 Geo Metro
because instead of working with a 3 cyclinder engine with very little horsepower, you get to work with great samples by another mixter.

Secret mixter isn’t hard. It’s as much fun as driving a Geo Metro
in the San Gabriel Mountains!