Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Signup Spam Escalation and Response

Signup Spam Escalation and Response

go1dfish
permalink   Fri, Apr 16, 2010 @ 4:27 PM
In response to a steadily increasing flow of bogus spam signups we have implemented the nofollow attribute value on links in user editable content.

This is intended to remove the incentive for linking to their pill peddling sites in an attempt to boost their search rankings.

We hope that this will only be necessary temporarily, and are still considering other approaches to stop these attacks.
essesq
permalink   Sat, Apr 17, 2010 @ 10:22 AM
Smart move. Those people are annoying. I resisted the urge to bring them to the admins attention because I knew you’d deal with them and nobody likes a backseat administrator ;-). Thank you.
go1dfish
permalink   Mon, Apr 26, 2010 @ 11:55 AM
Unfortunately the spamming has continued, we have temporarily enabled admin verification for new signups.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Apr 26, 2010 @ 1:12 PM
At the moment, we will be waiting an undefined period before approving any new accounts. If you personally know someone that has created an account (and isn’t a spammer), please have them email admin directly to hasten their review process.

Thanks for your patience as we find the best solution!

permalink   Focal Chords Sun, Jul 18, 2010 @ 10:22 AM
When I signed up recently (a musician, NOT a spammer!) I never got emailed a password. Don’t know if this is a bug or a feature. ;-)

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Jul 18, 2010 @ 11:52 AM
thanks for the heads up. so you got your account set-up ok?