permalink   Tue, Jul 28, 2009 @ 11:59 AM
We’re firing up a Secret Mixter again, only this time with a difference:

It’s (almost) all automated.

Start at our new fancy-shmancy:

Mixup Home Page

To get details and sign up.

aliteralmind
permalink   Wed, Jul 29, 2009 @ 8:35 AM
Im excited but really nervous about this. My musical abilities are basically limited to my voice (I dont play instruments or make music on the computer). Theres not enough time in the universe to consider everybodys abilities and preferences when assigning secret mixter pals. Im afraid of being assigned to someone whose music I just dont know what to do with.

Any advice?

[…and why are my single-quotes being stripped???]

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jul 29, 2009 @ 11:20 AM
here’s an idea. but i should preface this idea with the question…can you do multitrack recording?

if so, find some samples (or cut some yourself) from a few tracks by the artist you’re given. create a simple (or not simple) arrangement. then use your voice to sing (or beat box) around it.

you did a nice job with that bo heart track. you should be able to come up with something.

permalink   aliteralmind Thu, Jul 30, 2009 @ 3:02 AM
Thanks for the advice, mcjitb. I can see how I might be able to do it. Im finding myself overwhelmed at the moment, the more I think about it, so Im going to take my cold feet and warm them up for next summer.

permalink   victor Wed, Jul 29, 2009 @ 11:24 AM
Quote: aliteralmind[…and why are my single-quotes being stripped???]

I plugged a security hole yesterday - seems I may have ‘over plugged’ - I’ll look into it.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Tue, Aug 11, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
i got my assignment. did you get yours?

if not, check your bulk mail/spam folder.

permalink   victor Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 11:53 AM
Assignments are out - you should have gotten your assignment by email yesterday - if you didn’t get it make sure to contact us.

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 12:31 PM
i got mine! i worked on it for most of the night….it is my first remix! :)

permalink   Down With Ben Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 12:47 PM
Yep. Excited to get started, but nervous at the same time. The person I was assigned has posted a lot of high quality material, I feel almost unworthy to touch their stuff! Plus, they’ve provided so much to choose from, it’s hard to decide on what material to focus on…

Good luck to everyone. Looking forward to listening to everyone’s mixes in two weeks.

permalink   remaxim Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 1:31 PM
Yep, mine is here as well.

Had to put some good piano samples on my page first, so the guy remixing me doesn’t get nightmares from trying to remix me.

permalink   wellman Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 2:06 PM
Quote: remaxim…Had to put some good piano samples on my page first, so the guy remixing me doesn’t get nightmares from trying to remix me.

Ohhh remaxin if everyone just think the way u do..this world would be a better place! :-)
This Secret Mixter is really a chanllege for me, coz my guy has just uploaded one song without any stems…. I will see what can I do in this precarious situation

Pray for me guys…

permalink   remaxim Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 4:57 PM
I will …

permalink   ScOmBer Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 8:53 PM
Got mine, this is gonna be lotsa fun. Challenging pairing!

permalink   Calling Sister Midnight Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 6:49 AM
got mine and I’ve already noodled, poked and prodded. Were the pairings done randomly or was there some sort of logic to the pairings?

permalink   victor Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 5:19 PM
it’s random (code is here)

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 7:18 PM
Oh! I feel so much better now that I know the code. I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this. :-)

permalink   Anchor Tue, Aug 18, 2009 @ 1:14 PM
Quote: SackJo22Oh! I feel so much better now that I know the code. I wasn’t sure how I was going to do this. :-)

Wow- this way better than the Davinci Code…..

permalink   Loveshadow Sun, Aug 23, 2009 @ 5:15 PM
bloody show off !

permalink   duckett Fri, Aug 14, 2009 @ 12:30 AM
Yep, got mine- I’ve started messing around, hopefully the results will be listenable by the deadline ;-)
Glad to see I’m not the only one who gets all eager for these!
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   victor Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 10:11 PM
You’re done?!? I bet you sat in the front row in math class…

Upload now ‘unpublished’ don’t tag it and we’ll take care of on magic day.

permalink   teru Wed, Aug 12, 2009 @ 11:04 PM
“I bet you sat in the front row in math class…”

Previously, on SecretMixter….

:)

permalink   Loveshadow Sun, Aug 23, 2009 @ 5:18 PM
please sir Mr Stones can i do this aswell ???
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   victor Mon, Aug 24, 2009 @ 9:00 AM
yea, what colab said - it actually didn’t work out and we never did it with colab because it would ruin the surprise.

I’ll work something out for the next mixup where people can upload early where remix notifications are surpressed - for now, I’ll be thrilled if the new mixup-upload code actually surives the next 24 hrs.
PorchCat
permalink   Mon, Aug 17, 2009 @ 4:24 PM
Dang! I missed this round! :(

That said, awesome on Victor for setting up a page on ccMixter itself to run the event! Also, I’m looking forward to seeing all the great mixes coming out of this round.

*meow*

permalink   duckett Tue, Aug 18, 2009 @ 4:26 PM
Hey PC- as I understand it, you were the cat to come with the idea; so a hearty “Thank You” from me for thinking of it- I’m sure we’ll see you next time..

*quack* ;-)
vo1k1
permalink   Fri, Aug 21, 2009 @ 1:44 PM
I just had to update my remix status with a “no-go” response (mbp powers on, pings, can hear drive spinning, absolutely no display) I’m hugely disapponted - I love these things - sincerest apologies :(

permalink   victor Fri, Aug 21, 2009 @ 3:01 PM
Gotcha - really sorry about that ( partly because I’m just breaking in a new mbp)

If there is anybody out there who wants the assignment (no you get do NOT get to know who it is before committing, yes you have to have the remix done by tuesday and yes, I’m making all this up as I go along) let the admins know

permalink   vo1k1 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 @ 3:41 PM
I’ve now heard that it is a known issue with a specific vintage of nvidia chips in the mbp. Also, my assignment was awesome - whomever picks this up - mana from heaven.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 10:12 PM
Is there a particular time on Tuesday? i.e., can we upload as early as 12:00 a.m. Tuesday? Only asking because I am going out of town Tuesday morning for a few days and I want to give myself plenty of time to upload in case I screw something up.

permalink   victor Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 10:19 PM
I’m turning on the upload forms after I get home from a blues club I’m going to Mon. night (PST)

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 10:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Aug 25, 2009 @ 1:56 AM
I just am compelled to say, that so far, the secret mixter mixes are amazing! I can’t wait to listen to more…
PorchCat
permalink   Tue, Aug 25, 2009 @ 7:32 PM
I’ve been listening to the mixes from this SecretMixter round and they are quite excellent! Thanks to everyone who has kept this going and helped give it a life of its own. Kudos again to Victor for setting it up to run on ccMixter. This is just simply awesome!

*meow*