Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Trackback notification

Trackback notification

s.c.mixer
permalink   Tue, Dec 30, 2008 @ 8:06 PM
It would be useful (I think) to have a “I’ve been track-backed” notification, so artists can get notified when their remixes are used in videos, albums, etc.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Wed, Dec 31, 2008 @ 9:11 AM
Yeah, that would indeed kick ass.

A similar notification for playlist entries would go nicely with it.
victor
permalink   Wed, Dec 31, 2008 @ 2:39 PM
OK, I’ve enabled this. Please test it out (although you’ll have to wait until someone actually trackbacks you.)

To enabled it on your account (while logged in):

- Click on ‘Preferences’ in the menu on the left
- Click on ‘Click here to edit notifications’
- Check the ‘I’ve been used in a trackback’
- Sit back and wait and let me know if/when the thing is broken.

Thanks,
VS

permalink   s.c.mixer Thu, Jan 1, 2009 @ 5:57 AM
Wow, that was pretty fast! - great

Actually, I was not thinking of me getting notified, but the many artists I will feature in some new compilation albums I’m working on.

So, this brings up another different issue:
I created a temp user and realized that the default for notifications is always “off”. And given the fact that the “edit notification” page is hidden few clicks away from the starting page, I suppose most users won’t ever know that they can actually be notified of reviews, recommends, etc.
I guess that may explain the reason why there are some new mixters that don’t reply to reviews, or just upload one remix and don’t ever come back — just a guess, I may be wrong :P

These are some ideas:
- have the “notifications” list more accessible
- have them all enabled by default
- let the user know at first login time that he/she can turn on/off the notification system

Of course I’m not asking for this… just some suggestions :)

permalink   victor Thu, Jan 1, 2009 @ 10:15 AM
Quote: most users won’t ever know

50% of all users and over 75% of users with more than one upload are signed up for notifications.

With the exception of one letter from Prof. Lessig in four years (and ban notifications) we never send any email to users they didn’t request.

VS

permalink   s.c.mixer Thu, Jan 1, 2009 @ 2:44 PM
OK, then… not most but many

Anyway, if the user don’t want to receive the notification, we can’t do anything about it :/

permalink   victor Thu, Jan 1, 2009 @ 3:04 PM
You can always email using the contact form. (assuming their contact information is up to date. )