Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Melodyne plugin or cre8?

Melodyne plugin or cre8?

Subliminal
permalink   Tue, Nov 25, 2008 @ 10:43 PM
I am thinking about buying Melodyne, but I am in doubt if I should go for the plugin version or cre8. Any advice is most welcome.
sheever
permalink   Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 4:46 AM
I would say melodyne.
great stuff!
u can use in plugin mode in 8 channel.
radiotimes
permalink   Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 4:50 AM
Well I am a great fan and user of Melodyne and have been for a few years. I use the top of the line version Studio as it gives me more tracks to play with in the arrangement window which is great for creating harmonies and trying out various types of manipulation with other instruments.

The plug in version came free to me as I had Studio already and I use this a lot to tweak not just vocals but instruments as well. It’s pretty stable and as long as you keep your manipulated passages to small sections it works great. If you try to take a whole vocal say and then manipulate it it does start to play up a little but as I said keeping your sections short does the trick.

As to which to get well I would pay the extra and go for the Studio version and get the plug in free. If you just intend to do small adjustments to single tracks at a time I would just get the plug in as you can still make harmonies on seperate tracks if you want.

All that said the stand alone versions do offer more. Take a look at the Celemony site and they show comparissons between their different versions which will help you to make up your mind. Also they have a great forum site which has loads of advice which can help as well.

permalink   Subliminal Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 8:47 AM
Well, the Studio version is a bit too expensive for a poor guy like me, but it would be ideal, because you would get the best of both worlds. I have checked their site and the comparison charts. I guess it all comes down to the way I am going to use it most. In a Cubase project or independent of Cubase. With the Cre8 you have the Melodyne Bridge to hook it up to Cubase, but I don’t know how easy that way of working is, because it isn’t included in the demo version. Maybe browsing through their forums will give me more insight. Thanks!

P.S.: And ofcourse, when you buy the plugin version you will get a free update to version 2 and the new DNA technology. This doesn’t make the choice exactly easier.

permalink   sheever Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 10:50 AM
check couple of videos about melodyne here:

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

about rewire with cubase:

my problem with melodyne:
i recognized own processing on vocal sounds by melodyne.
2. when I change audio files on the channel than melodyne still playing the processed tunes.

btw those Nina Deli track awesome!:)

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 11:20 AM
yes, it is important to understand, that even in the VST, Melodyne is NOT realtime processing, but it creates new audio files and the plugin version quietly plays those instead of the original audio.

So while it looks like a regular VST FX insert it is NOT!

If you think about it, the changing of pitch in tools like melodyne is not done algorithmically.

Melodyne is wonderful for pitch manipulation. i.e. change the melody. Also for making changes in time - like lengthening or shortening a syllable.

However for pure automated pitch correction according to an algorithm (choose scale, how fast the correction is, etc) processed in realtime, Antares Autotune is a pretty good choice as a plugin. The new version of Autotune seems to also have some features similar to Melodyne. However if the upcoming Melodyne version 2.0 really allows you to change individual notes within a chord, that will be one of the holy grails of pitch changing.

In hardware, both Antares as well as TC Helicon make some good pitch correction gear. TC Helicon (VoiceLive and a couple of other boxes) also automatically creates some pretty believable harmonies in realtime in the right combination between original and processed voices.

I have used and am keeping all three: Celemony Melodyne, Antares Autotune and TC Helicon VoiceLive hardware. They all do different things well.

permalink   sheever Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 4:45 PM
yeah,cheers.
I used melodyne but i wouldnt again if its not necessary…
I like keep it every instrument it is in live cause this is the secret weapon to have it live music on computer…

permalink   Subliminal Wed, Nov 26, 2008 @ 10:58 PM
I am aware of the fact that Melodyne, even the plugin version, offers no realtime processing. I already fooled around a bit with the demo version.

What I like about Melodyne is that it offers more than just autotuning. And although I will probably use it to ‘correct’ some live performances, I am even more drawn to it for it’s more creative possibilities.

I guess if it weren’t for the free update to the version 2 of the plugin (with DNA), I would probably go for cre8. Now, I am still in doubt.

permalink   sheever Thu, Nov 27, 2008 @ 2:32 AM
well,if you ve got your guitar or whatever on a right tune and a vocalist not horrific than you dont need any autotune stuff thought.
if you work with software instruments than totally useless cause it on tune.