Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Parts Wanted » We need a ccM Christmas Album

We need a ccM Christmas Album

narva9
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 1:44 PM
I know it’s August and this makes me officially crazy but I think it might be the right time to start thinking about seasonal (x-mas, solstice, winter festival of your choice) music.

The dream:
To create a couple of hours of exceptional seasonal music. An alternative to the canned stuff normally played on the radio.

Here’s the deal:
1. we have a lot of talented people (singers, musicians, songwriters, producers)
2. there is a lot of beautiful traditional music and public domain music available for use.
3. we have the means to create, remix, rediscover hidden seasonal gems.
4. we even have the means to write our own :-)
5. and we have 4 months to do it!

What do you think? Anyone interested? How do you think we should proceed?

n9
gurdonark
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 3:48 PM
Last year I enjoyed doing “hark the herald angels sing” on a netlabel compilation.
http://www.darkwinter.com/s...

I could do a sing-able public domain Christmas hymn if anyone wished to do the vocals for something in my, uh, style.

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Aug 20, 2009 @ 10:32 AM
do you have a specific song that would inspire you? let me know and i’ll work up a pella. oh, and i’ll record those long single notes you suggested too! :)

Read more about the 2009 ccmixter holiday album project here http://ccmixter.org/thread/...

i hope you’ll participate!
spinmeister
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 4:58 PM
I think it could be a lot of fun.

One of the to do items would be to find candidate songs, where publishing rights (song writing / composition copyrights) are unencumbered. (e.g. PD or CC).

Another one would be to determine, if religious themed materials are ok or not. My first intuition would be to rather allow them, because otherwise there could be a never ending argument about what constitutes a religious theme).
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 5:36 PM
i’d be happy to chip in.

a few years back, i actually wrote and recorded an original tune for songfight called “merry christmas”. i’d be happy to donate the source for it if anyone wanted to remix it.

for shits and giggles, you can hear it here.

i also think it would be fun to put together some sort of “we are the world” kind of thing…with the ccmixter community chipping in on various parts of course. i’d be happy to take part in something like that as well.

so yeah, cool idea!

permalink   narva9 Sat, Aug 9, 2008 @ 8:50 AM
OMFG! It’s absolutely effing awesome. AWESOME!!! You are a genius and you’ve just dropped kicked the Kinks from #1 in my all time favorite list of reality-check-christmas carol.

Geez and it’s only August….I can’t wait until December. Oh the irony :-)

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Thu, Sep 4, 2008 @ 1:25 PM
hey thanks! i actually think Future Boy one upped me with his quaalude and rhodes inspired cover.

permalink   narva9 Mon, Sep 8, 2008 @ 5:06 PM
Oh my….happy holidays indeed :-)

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Aug 20, 2009 @ 10:35 AM
hilarious tune! i bet the tibetan monks will laugh …. ;)

i hope you’ll do a remix of one of these pella’s? http://ccmixter.org/thread/...

~s.

p.s. i’m working on a promo for you!
victor
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 6:26 PM
There’s a large amount of very sample-able ‘spiritual’ and seasonal material on Magnatune. (if by album you mean commercial then forget that)
radiotimes
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 7:21 PM
Narva that’s a great idea and as a kid I sang in the local choir. The voice has dropped a bit since then but I would be more than happy to take part.

The “We are the world” idea seems a good way to go about it.
Vidian
permalink   Fri, Aug 8, 2008 @ 8:59 PM
I like the Idea of creating my own christmas song, It’ll be the next carol of the bells. :P
spinmeister
permalink   Sat, Aug 9, 2008 @ 12:51 AM
If one is ambitious, one could shoot for an entire album’s worth of materials, where one or two songs are “we are the world” kind of large scale collaborations and the rest are smaller collabs and/or remixes?
narva9
permalink   Sat, Aug 9, 2008 @ 8:45 AM
Oh my…this is wonderful and thank you for the encouragement. :-) Perhaps we should consolidate the facts so far from this thread (I love making lists!):

1. Public domain (would anyone like to volunteer to generate a list of songs available) or original material only.
2. Seasonal music! All welcome religious, or otherwise.
3. “We are the World’s” encouraged but since I’m Canadian let’s refer to this as a “Tears are not Enough” project :-). Volunteers to organize wanted.
4. Collaborations (at our house anyway) seem to grown arms and legs, generate a large amount of guilt, and generally become creative blocks. So I’m trying to avoid calling it that :P
5. What if we all just “donate” a seasonal source file (bells and/or pells) for posterity. There are 7 of us here already in this forum…that would immediately give us 7 songs :-) and maybe we could each tap a friend to join in the chain. This way we add to the general sample pool….and let the remixing end work out naturally.
6. Commercial? What do you think? Maybe not as a goal but as a happy accident. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could generate proceeds! Even better if we could donate them.

The floor is open. Your comments please.
n9
Loveshadow
permalink   Sat, Aug 9, 2008 @ 3:06 PM
One of the reasons i am not around much at the moment is i am involved in a bunch of projects. One being a commerical Christmas album which i recorded in the last month, live in a beautiful church in Wales.

Its worth noting that a lot of carols considered `traditional’ are in fact still in copyright i.e not older than 1930.

We also recorded some new modern carols, so to avoid any fuss perhaps its time for some orginal CC vocals here.

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Aug 9, 2008 @ 4:32 PM
Quote: LoveshadowIt’s worth noting that a lot of carols considered `traditional’ are in fact still in copyright i.e not older than 1930.
Looks like APRA (the Australasian Performing Right Association) has a couple of useful pages:
- FAQ: Copyright & Christmas Songs & Carols
and a
- listing of Christmas Songs and Carols by copyright status

(UPDATED 2008-09-20 to reflect changed URLs at the APRA site)

permalink   narva9 Sun, Aug 10, 2008 @ 2:27 PM
That’s awesome. Thank you spin :-)

permalink   Father Scrough Sun, Aug 17, 2008 @ 5:29 AM
Quote: Loveshadow
Its worth noting that a lot of carols considered `traditional’ are in fact still in copyright i.e not older than 1930.

.. and its also worth noting that there are a huge mass of pre-Victorian carols (the Victorians rewrote the hymn books). Start by googling West Gallery, which should give you plenty of starting material.

permalink   narva9 Mon, Sep 8, 2008 @ 5:08 PM
Thank you for the info and my apologies for not replying earlier. I’ve been out of computer range for a bit.

n9
Anchor
permalink   Thu, Sep 4, 2008 @ 12:44 PM
I would love to contribute…having some roots in Troubadorial music and early music and Chant…I think I could add something. Great Idea Miss Narva.

permalink   narva9 Mon, Sep 8, 2008 @ 5:02 PM
Hi AM,
That sounds great. Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

The X-mas project is not so much a collaboration with a coordinator but rather just a call to action to vocalist so ccmixter can get ready with some seasonal stuff for the coming season.

So far I haven’t seen any uploads but then again I’ve be dragging my feet a bit so I can’t throw stones :-) What say we get the ball rolling.

Cheers,

n9
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Thu, Sep 18, 2008 @ 3:23 PM
i just started one and invited you to join. let me know if you don’t get the invite.
essesq
permalink   Mon, Sep 8, 2008 @ 7:28 PM
Why not open it up a bit to include the idea of Winter Solstice? I love Christmas Music, even though I am ethnically and religiously Jewish. I have sung most of the major works of Christmas music when at school, etc (most notably Handel’s Messiah by candlelight in a 300 year old Quaker Meetinghouse with string accompaniment - now that’s Winter glory).

Since I can neither sing nor compose I would be happy to contribute either a remix or a spoken word piece on the theme of light in the darkness, trying to avoid a specific Hanukah reference, which I find irritating when it is just thrown out as a counterbalance for Christmas. Please keep me posted. If anyone out there would like to collaborate with me, I could definitely use some help :-).

I also mention here my love for the concept of Paul Winter’s annual solstice concert in the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City. I listen to a bit of it each year and it is very inspiring.

permalink   narva9 Fri, Sep 19, 2008 @ 8:42 PM
Hi e,

The original idea was to include any and all seasonal music….so winter soltice songs would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing your contribution :-)

n9
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Thu, Sep 18, 2008 @ 3:45 PM
ok, i started a new collaboration project for this and invited anyone that posted here, as well as a few others. this is obviously open to anyone that wants to contribute, so if you want to play, post something here saying so and i’ll shoot you an invite to join the group.

also, not trying to take over yvonne’s idea, just trying to help! :)

permalink   narva9 Fri, Sep 19, 2008 @ 8:44 PM
Oh thank god! You rock MCJinB!!!

thank you so much for taking this on. :-) I look forward to contributing. I think it’s going to be a whole lot of fun.
tacet
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 1:30 AM
Count me in.

Sorry I’ve been Mr ccQuiet for a while, but intend to get back into things as soon as I finish setting up my music kit again.

I’d like to write something original, and possibly sing something traditional too. Hmm…
George_Ellinas
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 4:54 AM
Thanx for the invitation MC
I have not worked on something like this before and the whole idea of making a CCMIXTER Christmas album is really intriguing!
Maybe a dance mix of one of the tracks that would be made it would be my take on this !!!

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 9:07 AM
that’s the spirit george. that would be great!
gingerbread_patriots
permalink   Sun, Sep 21, 2008 @ 10:22 AM
so a few years back i released a compilation for xmas. i would be willin to provide tracks whole or seperated if any are interestin enough….
it can be found free for download here
http://www.gingerbreadpatri...
jdblundell
permalink   Wed, Oct 22, 2008 @ 2:52 PM
with a weekly podcast we’re starting to look around for music for our upcoming “christmas special.” we’d love to see more christmas music released as CC.
i downloaded several of the tracks and such that were suggested in the forum - would love to see some more.
check out the podcast and drop us a note if you’ve got some tracks and/or interested.
dangerous_objects
permalink   Thu, Oct 23, 2008 @ 3:48 AM
I might be interested, if I find the time :) Has anyone collated a list of permitted tracks anywhere?

permalink   spinmeister Thu, Oct 23, 2008 @ 9:34 AM
is this what you meant?

permalink   dangerous_objects Fri, Oct 24, 2008 @ 2:54 AM
Quote: spinmeisteris this what you meant?

Thank you sir :) Of course, having the song in the public domain is no use if we can’t find public domain or CC licenced recordings of said songs. I was sorta hoping someone was working on collecting such recordings

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Oct 24, 2008 @ 3:09 AM
Quote: dangerous_objectsI was sorta hoping someone was working on collecting such recordings

seek and ye shall find ?

permalink   dangerous_objects Sat, Oct 25, 2008 @ 4:47 PM
Quote: spinmeisterI was sorta hoping someone was working on collecting such recordings

seek and ye shall find ?

/me cluebats self

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Oct 25, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

image courtesy of ashokmandy
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Wed, Nov 12, 2008 @ 11:54 PM
maybe we should resurrect this thread.

permalink   dangerous_objects Sun, Dec 21, 2008 @ 5:28 PM
Quote: MC Jack in the Boxmaybe we should resurrect this thread.

Just noticed this: http://www.hermann-uwe.de/b...

Too bad I’m too busy right now :(
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Mon, Mar 2, 2009 @ 1:57 PM
Now is the time to do it, for next season. That would give time for getting it distributed.

permalink   spinmeister Mon, Mar 2, 2009 @ 2:37 PM
I think somebody already started :-)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 2, 2009 @ 7:03 PM
who?

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 2, 2009 @ 7:07 PM
oh, duh now i read what is going on…how can i help?

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 9:42 PM
Quote: spinningmerkabaNow is the time to do it, for next season. That would give time for getting it distributed.

I’m not sure what happened with this idea from last year? Three days ago I was contacted about any opportunity to release a holiday album with a label in LA…the proceeds will benefit Tibet (last year they raised $20k on their holiday album project). We’d all share writing/publishing/recording credits if our songs/mixes are on it (and revenue if there is any after the fund raising!). Read more about the project HERE.

And yes essesq, we should definitely include all the various worldwide solstice-timed holidays for the project. Include all, exclude none.

My Heard the Bells acapella is up here.

permalink   narva9 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 10:30 PM
Hi Snowflake,

Sounds like a wonderful idea. I would love to help out in any way I can. Let me know what I can do.

FYI- I put up a few vocals last year that might work for this project:

1. It came upon a midnight clear
2. Alvin the prophet
3. Three Birds in an Alley
4. One World

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 10:38 PM
cool. i will check them out! i am thinking of writing a Solstice Song (and recording a Chanukah one too!)

Peace….

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 @ 11:39 PM
Did I hear Chanukah? I would love to participate — nothing like the festival of lights to bring in some brightness! Let me know if there is any way you would like me to contribute.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:06 AM
SackJo - my favorite ccMixter podcaster! Would you be into recording an a capella of Festival of Lights or Light the Menora, or any other Chanukah-spirited song (original or otherwise)? That would utterly rock! :)

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:09 AM
I would be delighted to! What’s the timeline? (And it’s so nice to hear you are listening to, and enjoying, The Mixin’ Kitchen.)

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:36 AM
Quote: SackJo22I would be delighted to! What’s the timeline? We will need to have selected the songs submitted for mastering by Sept 20 (that is fast but we can do it?!)

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:11 AM
Oh, and copyright, my favorite topic. (urgh). http://www.pdinfo.com/listP... I did a Christmas album in 2003 for which I had to secure mechanical licenses for 2 songs (we can always get them from Harry Fox but public domain is much cleaner)…

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:14 AM
I would likely do a public domain or original song for that very reason.

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Aug 20, 2009 @ 10:24 AM
hey n9!

would you be so kind as to post this song list, with link to each pella’s page, in this new forum post? http://ccmixter.org/thread/1996 That would be swell :)

One World is an incredible song btw.

Peace,

~s

permalink   Anchor Wed, Aug 19, 2009 @ 8:25 AM
How is this project progressing?
I have some free time and could contribute an offering if you like.
Are these A-cappella’s you are seeking?
Anchor
permalink   Wed, Aug 19, 2009 @ 3:16 AM
There is so much stuff on this page’s topic reply that its hard to follow….How is this project progressing? I’d like to contribute but can’t discern what is needed….
Thanks
Anchor

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Aug 19, 2009 @ 9:49 AM
I agree this thread has become lengthy and perhaps a bit unmanageable!

I created a new post here today to hopefully help clarify things!