Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Loop Libraries

Loop Libraries

VynilRob
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 5:22 AM
I want to peep the Mixter loop libraries, but how I do go about downloading them for the contest?
victor
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 8:17 AM
not 100% sure what you’re asking, is this a technical question about how to download?

Peace,
VS
Aamu
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 9:06 AM
I guess VynilRob is seeking for an option to preview a single loop inside of a zip-file, without having to download the whole zillion gigabyte zip.

AFAIK its not currently possible.
Aamu
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 9:10 AM
Oh, he mentioned the contest…

for the studio tracks it’s not possible to preview a single file inside the zip, but for the Pre-Cut Loop Libraries you can
1 select the library you’d like to preview
2 click "Get Loop Library Listing"
and you’ll see a list of the loops in the zip, with preview links to stream a loop.
victor
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 9:11 AM
You can preview the loops in the *Magnatune* loop libraries (although I hear that may be broken on Safari and I’m looking into it)

You can not preview loops in a ZIP file that some one else has uploaded. (thx aaaaaaamu)

Even if you could you could NOT use them in the Magnatune contest (unless you get explicit permission from the uploader who then waives all rights).

Hope something in there is useful.

VS
Aamu
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 12:07 PM
Quote: Even if you could you could NOT use them in the Magnatune contest (unless you get explicit permission from the uploader who then waives all rights).
This is something I’ve been wondering: The Sampling Plus license doesn’t seem to require ShareAlike, but allows redistribution even under All Rights Reserved, as long the song is labeled correctly (attribution is given). Therefore they would actually be usable in this kind of competition. Also, the NC-sampling plus seems to allow works to be licensed under any CC NC license, or even All Rights Reserved, if not used commercially, which of course would restrict them from a competition where a third party would sell the results on a CD.

I do respect the rule given in this competition, not to use loops from ccmixter.org, but was just wondering if I’ve correctly understood the licenses.
victor
permalink   Sun, Jun 19, 2005 @ 12:21 PM
To be brutally honest CC and Mixter kind of painted all of us into a corner with the Sampling licenses and we’re working on getting ourselves out.

The big problem with the Sampling licenses vs. Magnatune is that half of the income from Magnatune comes from licensing to film/tv/advertising syncing — which is NOT allowed in the sampling licenses (doh!).

It actually gets worse: because all the Magnatune stuff is ShareAlike it means you can never mix them with Sampling (not even casually) because by-nc-sa allows film synching and Sampling doesn’t which is just plain incompatible.ugh.

I had a very productive meeting with the CC lawyers last week and we actually have a plan to fix this that we’ll be executing in the next few weeks/months.

Makes sense? No? Join the club ;)

Victor
Aamu
permalink   Mon, Jun 20, 2005 @ 12:22 AM
Quote: Makes sense?

Some of it does now. I didn’t think of the usage in other medias, like films.

I remember the times when we had the 1.0 licenses and choosing was so easy… Too bad we didn’t have a community like this back then. Hope that the licenses become more interchangable, for now using any old licensed tracks with new sampling licensed tracks is just too complicated, if even possible.

Another thing I’ve been wondering is the possibility to license a single track under multiple licenses. I’m planning to create a list of my songs to Aamu’s home page, giving an array of licenses to each track. Tagging mp3’s then again is quite complicated, if I’m not sharing the same song in multiple files, each tagged to different license. E.g. "Cricket" would have "Samplign+", "BY-SA" and "BY-ND", allowing quite large scale of use, but still giving me credit… Damn. I thought giving up some rights would be easier. Maybe I’ll wait for the license renewal before going for that. I remember retagging a whole lot of mp3’s when I switched from Open Music to CC.
victor
permalink   Mon, Jun 20, 2005 @ 11:12 AM
Quote: for now using any old licensed tracks with new sampling licensed tracks is just too complicated, if even possible.

it’s hard to disagree with this. I’ve written up my PERSONAL views on this:

http://virtualturntable.org...

(hey proof that will ya? ;))

I’ve read where it’s totally ok to license under multiple licenses, but I’m not an expert on that. This kind of stuff is regularly discussed on the CC lists and my eyes glaze over.

VS
Aamu
permalink   Mon, Jun 20, 2005 @ 7:36 PM
Quote:
I’ve read where it’s totally ok to license under multiple licenses, but I’m not an expert on that. This kind of stuff is regularly discussed on the CC lists and my eyes glaze over.

I think multiple licenses are OK, when
1) the tracks are all mine
OR
2) the borrowed stuff doesnt require ShareAlike
AND
3) the borrowed stuff is not released under any Sampling license