Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Musician's focal dystonia

Musician's focal dystonia

Pitx
permalink   Sat, Jun 21, 2008 @ 2:02 AM
If you don’t know this, visit this page (in english, spanish and catalĂ ).
duckett
permalink   Sat, Jun 21, 2008 @ 10:43 AM
Wow, thanks very much, Julio- that’s a real service. I actually don’t use anything like proper technique on any of the instruments I play, but it’s important that any musician take a look at this; especially the common misconception of “I must need more practice”, etc.
victor
permalink   Sat, Jun 21, 2008 @ 10:47 AM
um, is it possible this (finally) gives me a diagnosis??

and the cure is Botox?? awesome!

Seriously, this gives me the first glimmer of hope in many years, thanks. I can only hope there’s something more to it than some other so called “ diagnoses.”
Surveillance_Party
permalink   Tue, Jun 24, 2008 @ 11:00 AM
Bad Performance nerves? Becoming an ingrained psychological habit?Not sure I buy this one.
Revlin
permalink   Tue, Jul 1, 2008 @ 4:19 PM
I was originally searching for the right sub-forum to post a new thread in, but after reading the above linked to blog post by Victor, I believe this is the perfect line of thought to reply to. Here goes:

All I know about music is that not many people ever
really hear it. And even then, on the rare occasions
when something opens within, and the music enters,
what we mainly hear, or hear corroborated, are personal,
private, vanishing evocations. But the man who creates
the music is hearing something else, is dealing with
the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it
as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of
another order, more terrible because it has no words,
and triumphant, too, for that same reason. And that triumph,
when he triumphs, is ours.

-James Baldwin

This is an excerpt from “Sonny’s Blues”, a short story by James Baldwin. If there were ever a musical epoch that is the culmination of all the musical revelations that have taken place in the history of the universe, I believe this site is symbolic of that moment which is happening right now. Listen as the story of our world becomes compressed and performed once again on smaller and smaller time scales, accelerating into some ultimate cadence. Not only am I looking forward to hearing the last chord, but I’m enjoying every melodic preparation, every harmonic suspension, and each and every rhythmic motivation along the way.