Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Bugs » multiple download options and file names

multiple download options and file names

MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Wed, Jun 4, 2008 @ 9:30 PM
So maybe this is a bug or maybe it isn’t, but i figured the best place to post this question is here…..

I’ve been downloading some of the various tracks from shannonsongs and noticed something odd in the download option. Clicking “download” from the main window, you get the pop-up window, which in her case lists multiple tracks to download. Each of the different tracks has a different name for a link, but they all seem to have the same file name in the link, or something seems to be modifying or creating a different file name other than the name listed as the link, and that name is the same for all of the files. it’s not really a major problem other than the fact that if i don’t catch it and change the filename at the save stage, it just truncates the file name with a 1 or a 2. and then i have a bunch of files with almost the same file names and i’m not sure what is what. :(

anyways, i’m not sure if this is an internal bug or maybe a problem with the way shannon is submitting the samples.
victor
permalink   Wed, Jun 4, 2008 @ 9:56 PM
Quote: MC Jack in the Boxi’m not sure if this is an internal bug or maybe a problem with the way shannon is submitting the samples.

This is what is called “bug by design” - in fact the site has always worked this way, the nickname is for display purposes and never shaped the name of the file. Having raised the awareness and added features to ‘add files’ this issue has all of a sudden come up a few times.

I just spent the last two days chasing down bugs and tweaking the site. I’m going to let things settle down then look at fixing this one so it’s not so confusing.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 4, 2008 @ 10:06 PM
well, you do a great job my friend!

no worries, just noticed it.
victor
permalink   Fri, Jun 6, 2008 @ 4:21 PM
I know it’s little consolation just a temporary layover but I’m now displaying the actual file name next to the nickname in the “Downloads” popup/dropdown thingy.

At least now you can safely associate what your looking for (and possibly rename as you download).

This will definitely come in handy if, say, someone adds, oh, I don’t know 36 files to a record (!) which btw, is SOOOOO much better than uploading each one using Submit Files. Maybe the new menu/hints are having an affect?

Again, not a permanent fix but a slightly better mousetrap.

VS

permalink   DJ Rkod Sat, Jun 7, 2008 @ 7:14 AM
Ah, I guess I’m just in a complaining mood today, but because the downloads list doesn’t scroll, it’s a hassle to get all the files sometimes. Especially on the upload you mentioned, even at 1600x1200 (!) I couldn’t see all the files. If more people are going to start using this, it should probably be fixed.

permalink   victor Sat, Jun 7, 2008 @ 8:48 AM
eh, it scrolls for this page no?

permalink   victor Sat, Jun 7, 2008 @ 9:06 AM
ok, should be better now. (you may have to refresh the browser, possibly clear your cache completely)

VS

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sat, Jun 7, 2008 @ 11:21 AM
yes, i get the scrollbar now but i had to refresh. thanks for the extra effort victor.

the best option would be to have a single zip file but that’s not for you to say.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sat, Jun 7, 2008 @ 11:49 AM
also, here’s another slightly related question to this….is there a way to build in some sort of redundency so that if someone uploads multiple files this way, they will be available in the sample browser? it seems like the extra samples available with all the shannonsongs acapellas are only available if you download from her acappella page, they don’t show up as “recent samples” for instance, since they were submitted as an acappella and not samples.

i use the sample browser 90% of the time and would have never known the other source she made available was there if i hadn’t downloaded the pella. not a big deal but i’m wondering if someone adds files to a pella, can that be somehow communicated to the sample browser easily? anyways, when you have time to consider…..thanks!

permalink   victor Sat, Jun 7, 2008 @ 4:49 PM
If they are not showing up in the sample browser or ‘recent samples’ listing it’s because Shannon didn’t mark the individual files as ‘sample’ in the ‘Add Files’ form (or she did and there’s a bug in the form).

I’ve gone back to some of her first uploads and marked the relevant files as ‘sample’ but it seems she’s uploaded several since then.

If she were to use ‘Manage Files’ she could mark all the instrument files in those records easily.

Perhaps a friendly nudge from someone (*cough*) alerting her to this feature under ‘Manage Files’ is appropriate.
teru
permalink   Mon, Oct 19, 2009 @ 3:51 PM
Any way of changing the names on the actual downloaded files too? I usually rename the file when I d/l them but it would save me a step. :)

Instead of a number, using the nickname.

eg. now = teru_-_110_Downtempo_Electronic_5.mp3

instead = teru_-_110_Downtempo_Electronic_whistle.mp3

permalink   victor Tue, Oct 20, 2009 @ 6:36 AM
This has been bothering me too for a while and I think I know how to do it so it’s URL-safe and we don’t get a bunch of teru_-_110_Downtempo_Electronic_mp3.mp3 (since 90%+ of the nicknames are just the file extension)

I can’t do this right away though because I just found a nasty bug in the secret mixter assignment code that, er, kinda takes priority.