How I Did It

Better Thingzz
by Austin Scheen
Recommends (2)
Wed, Mar 30, 2016 @ 12:40 AM

Uses samples from:


Tools I Used

Protools 12, iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), Superior Drummer 2.0, Arturia V Collection.

Samples I Used

All samples used were made using Arturia VST's. Mostly the Sparkz drum machine.

Original Samples

I created all the track and beats except the vocals. I chopped those up a lot to meet the desired bpm.


So I started with just the vocal track and the sparkz instrument. I found a preset with some really nice synth samples that just happened to be in the same key as the song. I got the samples into audio files, did a lot of EQ and such. Triple tracked them. Added the sub bass synth. It added an extra attack to the kicks and was automated for the wubs. I had 5 vocal tracks with different effects, all side-chained except the two main vocal tracks. I added chords with a tweaked preset from the Jupiter V VST. Last added a sequencer synth. Then I did a lot of EQ, left the low end only in the kick and sub bass. The chords stay in the high range and I tried to find the sweet spot for the vocals. Lots of compression tweaking. Finally, for the first time I took the track back into a mixing session and added some stereo spread. a mixing limiter. Raised the volume a tad.

Other Notes

I think this track is the best I have created. I found the vocals digging through the pells, and as soon as I heard the superior quality and metter of the vocal tracks I knew I had to make something with it. I wasn't sure where it was going but I loved where it ended up. My influence of Neon Indian's latest album shows up in the track. More importantly I wanted to keep the main message of the song in the track. I wanted it to feel positive and express that feelings to others through the music. I would love any feedback as I am still learning and mainly self taught.