Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » introduction

introduction

Magpie Industries
permalink   Thu, Mar 9, 2006 @ 1:48 PM
Hi,
I’ve been lurking for a little while, and recently signed up with ccMixter, and would just like to say hi. I like to make experimental music with walkmen, diy synths and circuit bent equipment. Hopefully I will upload something soon.

Just looking over the available forums, I can’t seem to find a good place to introduce myself, or have a chat besides the OT forum, so as a feature may I suggest a forum that has a more community vibe, the current forums are very ‘practical’ or focused on technique or help/bug reports.

Although plz point me in the right direction if I’ve simply missed the spot where everyones hanging out..
shagrugge
permalink   Thu, Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:40 PM
welcome…

Can’t wait to hear some of the circuit bent stuff. I’ve been a lurker on circuit benders email list for a couple of years and visit the site every once in awhile to see what cool and bizarre contraptions they’re cookin up.

- Good stuff -
gurdonark
permalink   Thu, Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:45 PM
Quote: Hi,
I’ve been lurking for a little while, and recently signed up with ccMixter, and would just like to say hi. I like to make experimental music with walkmen, diy synths and circuit bent equipment. Hopefully I will upload something soon.

Just looking over the available forums, I can’t seem to find a good place to introduce myself, or have a chat besides the OT forum, so as a feature may I suggest a forum that has a more community vibe, the current forums are very ‘practical’ or focused on technique or help/bug reports.

Although plz point me in the right direction if I’ve simply missed the spot where everyones hanging out..

Hi there! I work a lot in freeware softsynths, but I do like to do a bit of analog home-made sometimes.

I hope you’ll upload some little twinges of cool sounds when you begin uploading, as I enjoy working with little bursts of beatless ambience.

It’s a good suggested feature, by the way, although in theory the OT category may just need a rename :)
Magpie Industries
permalink   Thu, Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:47 PM
Quote: I hope you’ll upload some little twinges of cool sounds when you begin uploading, as I enjoy working with little bursts of beatless ambience.

I’m kind of intimidated by the high standards here, but I’ll get something uploaded eventually!

Thanks all for the welcome :)
EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Sun, Mar 12, 2006 @ 2:43 AM
High standards? Nah… we’re not music-snobs, so you don’t have to worry about getting your tracks perfect. If we don’t like something about your tune, we’ll REMIX it! ;) For that matter, don’t worry about finishing a track to upload. If you come up with some cool sounds, just upload them. We’ll figure out something to do with ‘em! Likewise, feel free to tinker with the stuff you find here. (Just pay special attention to how you license your own uploaded samples. If you make the license too restrictive, it might discourage people from applying them to their own works.) Welcome!
victor
permalink   Sun, Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:51 AM
I don’t know if this makes me a snob but I’d like to believe that our standards are high. I’ve passed up several opportunities to "pump up the numbers" of uploads and members in order to focus on shaking the idea that music given away on the web must be something other than great.

Specifically, on ccMixter, there is a special opportunity for people with specialized talents, a deep instinctual feeling but only for a select area of music to come together and collaborate through sharing and remixing samples and a cappellas — the result being greater than the sum of the parts.

I’d like to believe that we want to take advantage of this opportunity, specifically, to make amazing, heart-splitting brain-melting music and prove that it’s sharing, through flexible, licensing that makes thats possible.

If someone wants to hover over the ‘submit’ button a second longer and contemplate the upload, that’s ok by me.
EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Sun, Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:16 PM
Quote: I don’t know if this makes me a snob but I’d like to believe that our standards are high.
Well, okay. The standards here are high, but not in an intimidating way. ;)
Quote: I’d like to believe that we want to take advantage of this opportunity, specifically, to make amazing, heart-splitting brain-melting music and prove that it’s sharing, through flexible, licensing that makes thats possible.
Here here! And ccMixter is somewhat unique in its flexible approach to permission and its encouragement of sound-file re-use. Indeed, I’ve found some great stuff here for listening to and re-using!