Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » A 2nd suggestion for a CCMixter project: A Musical!?!

A 2nd suggestion for a CCMixter project: A Musical!?!

Piero Peluche
permalink   Thu, Aug 15, 2013 @ 8:02 AM
Months ago, making a remix for SackJo, I had an idea for a CCMixter project: to realize a “Musical” project here on CCMixter.
Talking with Kara Square we discussed about what a Musical could need and we had several idea for a possible subject.
Finally a nice (I hope) idea came to me, something that different people can experience or, at least, have ideas about it: our digital lives, our digital loves.
So a possible name for this project went out too: “Spiders - those who live on the net”.
Could this be a good idea?
stellarartwars
permalink   Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 4:07 AM
Quote: Piero PelucheMonths ago, making a remix for SackJo, I had an idea for a CCMixter project: to realize a “Musical” project here on CCMixter.
Talking with Kara Square we discussed about what a Musical could need and we had several idea for a possible subject.
Finally a nice (I hope) idea came to me, something that different people can experience or, at least, have ideas about it: our digital lives, our digital loves.
So a possible name for this project went out too: “Spiders - those who live on the net”.
Could this be a good idea?

great stuff - economix is into theatre, he may be able to offer some plot ideas etc.

would love to work on this!

permalink   Kara Square Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 8:44 AM
Quote: stellarartwarsgreat stuff - economix is into theatre, he may be able to offer some plot ideas etc.

would love to work on this!

Good call, SAW. I think I’ll send a link to this post to economix. It would be fun to hear his thoughts.

Awesome to hear that you like the idea!

permalink   Piero Peluche Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 9:22 AM
Thanks to you both. I hope something will come out this.
Kara Square
permalink   Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 8:45 AM
Thanks for posting about this, Piero. I still love the idea. The visual of spiders and webs regarding our digital lives is inspiring!
economix
permalink   Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 8:59 AM
Hey, I just wrote a musical. Not quite finished yet. based around creative commons music from …(cough)…an independent source. Something else I would like to hear are songs of celebration. Weddings and graduations are ceremonies where people do play recorded music in public. What did you have in mind? A Christmas Pantomime western type of thing?

permalink   Piero Peluche Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 9:21 AM
Hi Economix, thanks for your interest. The idea was maybe even too simple: to give people just a title and a subject. They will write songs (possibly with lyrics… lol) about everything that subject inspires them. We will just collect those songs and try to find a connection between them making the musical concept… and then I need help, cause I don’t know what comes next. :-)

permalink   economix Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 8:02 AM
Kara, When I say christmas, I am talking about most community theatres plan their big punchy musical for the new year holiday period. My example is here http://fiction.wikia.com/wi... Good luck with your writing project Piero. I suggest a large cast of ten or more to accomodate enthusiastic community theatres (volunteers all want a small part to play), give your lead actors turn on stage, so everybody gets a break. make it funny and romantic with a happy ending. A song about how great community theatres are might be a good place to start. My several plays have had almost no reads and I could not bear to produce my own work. I did look at trying to write a western, but the best works are on restrictive licenses, this might suit you if you are aiming for a non-profit market.

permalink   economix Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 8:22 AM
…Is there such a thing as a one-act romantic musical comedy? My experience is that people are so time poor that one-act festivals are winning because they are so quick to produce.

permalink   Piero Peluche Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 8:35 AM
Hi again, I’m not that much into theater things, so my idea was just an input to be developed inside this site. I think it could be a one-act comedy but everything is opened to what the artists here on CCMixter will suggest, directly with proposals or indirectly with their songs. I wrote this post to hear what the other people think about something like this, if it’s feasible in a CC way. Thanks.

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 10:49 AM
This is a fun and inspiring idea! I just brought your post to the attention of the admin team — let’s see what happens!

permalink   Piero Peluche Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 12:13 PM
Thank you very much. Let’s see!

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Aug 20, 2013 @ 12:06 PM
i love this idea! exploring….

permalink   Piero Peluche Wed, Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:21 AM
Thanks! :-)

permalink   economix Wed, Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:03 AM
Oops, I am getting ahead of the project. I think it is a fantastic idea to develop the music. There is plenty of inspiration, like this astonishing collection of public domain vaudeville songs http://www.halhkmusic.com and I am sure there are broadway products to match, GREAT IDEA !!!

permalink   Piero Peluche Wed, Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:27 AM
The different thing from a “normal” musical is that on this project everybody will approach the idea in many different styles… those styles could be used to underline every protagonists’ nature. So we could have someone “talking Victorian and Edwardian”, some others talking in “Rap” etc. I think this way we’ll have a more realistic Musical.

permalink   economix Wed, Aug 21, 2013 @ 1:23 AM
At a glance, only a few of the top broadways shows could be called “normal”. That mold broke a while back. I can’t see a rap musical, so you’re on to something. I’d like to play the evil yet eloquent protagonist. (smirks, strokes dashing pencil moustache with jewell-ringed pinky) … nyuk, nyuk, nyuk … Muahahahaha !
Doxent Zsigmond
permalink   Tue, Aug 20, 2013 @ 7:43 AM
Writing such a musical that has to be a helluva idea.
I noticed that I can create musical progressions but not words or lyrics. That matter remains very difficult for me unfortunately. When creating musical both parts are very important (lyrics+music). Luckily here are quite a lot lyricists as I have noticed.

permalink   Piero Peluche Tue, Aug 20, 2013 @ 8:05 AM
I think I have your same limits with lyrics, that’s why I hope in other people’s (writing) hand. Thank you Doxent.

permalink   Doxent Zsigmond Tue, Aug 20, 2013 @ 9:03 AM
I may have found a nice source for lyrics here. http://ccmixter.org/people/...
Just need someone that can turn it into songs.

permalink   Piero Peluche Tue, Aug 20, 2013 @ 9:32 AM
I will be happy if we’ll have the help from Silkwords too for this kind of CC project. It would even be helpful to use already existent lyrics like those you showed me to fill the gaps.

permalink   economix Wed, Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:09 AM
I am happy to contribute for a mention.