Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Anyone?

Anyone?

teru
permalink   Sun, Dec 4, 2005 @ 10:17 AM
Anyone into doing a “best of” or “my favs” of 2005 list?

I’m in if at least two other people promise to. Should make a great thread if we can get lots of people involved. : )
cdk
permalink   Tue, Dec 6, 2005 @ 4:18 PM
how do i make a list….
teru
permalink   Wed, Dec 7, 2005 @ 4:04 AM
Well I was thinking of doing a list but….(I didn’t see this coming)

http://www.ccmixter.org/cop...

CDK - I think you should definately get on this. : )
creativelycommon
permalink   Sun, Dec 11, 2005 @ 4:59 AM
hisboyelroy - revolve the best original composition using sampled instrumentation hands down. this is solid platinum. the king of ccmixter submissions. the chance that hisboyelroy will submit again keeps me coming back to the site.

dj polar bear - blast this is certainly one of the best of the year and was one of the tracks that really got me excited about this site. to my dismay it did not win a spot in the contest. maybe he didn’t reply to his winning letter? otherwise the polar bear was robbed..

sharp - one two three another of my early favorites. this track hooks you early then sends you on an intense ride before easing you back down. i will play this for my grandchildren.

gerador zero - valsinha yet another of my early favorites. this song almost has more feeling in it than the moonlight sonata. it’s something you glitchy house monkeys can’t understand.

shortfacedbear - hip hop holiday stoner rap this track is so dope. It is reminiscent of perhaps house of pain and other early 90s hip hop, however, it’s a lot more fun.

shortfacedbear - clockwerk girl a melancholy masterpeice. shortfacedbear lays lisadb over perfect time with assistance from another peice of wind-up machinery.

shockshadow - samurai story this is actually an idea i had, and the type of stuff i aspire to create when i go for walks. too bad i lack the tekneek. this is one of many of shockshadow’s demonstrations of intensity. the crescendo is absolutely superb. bravo.

shockshadow - phoenix this is a beauty which seems inspired by many sources. this could pass as something off dj shadow’s endtroducing. this is pro my friend.

z-rox - Hi C and Fibre mix this song cracked me up the first time i heard it. then i danced. if this doesn’t put movement in your skeleton then you might be dead.

thelaw - gankutsuou this song almost sounds celtic, east asian with a bit of street thrown in. it totally does me up right. i can’t get enough of it.

pat chilla - twinkle twinkle i can’t explain it. it’s just got that sound. unf.

pat chilla - castle of serenades
i highly recommend this experience, for it is good.

minuskelvin - excepting this fat reaction this one grew on me. very well done.

minus kelvin - paper crown squarepusher, thom yorke and aphex twin haven’t anything on this guy. this is surreal and awesome.

minus kelvin - flowers in january the chopped vocals sounds like something i would probably try. however, contrary to how my results would sound, minus kelvin aced this exercise.

teru - funky dunky teru funks it up!

fourstones - 99% diamonds and fourstones - brilliant day remix this guy must have gone to school or something. he’s really good at this.

fourstones - cant we can we ashwan/curious (i can’t keep up with these guys) dropped an excellent vocal in response to the london terror bombings this year and fourstones made an anthem out of it. awesome. can’t we just all get along?

weirdpolymer - still people this song makes me recall curious children

gerador zero - oggendthingy digital and dope

teru - some things stay the same because the sun always comes back up

hisboyelroy - below this one is good too

well, that should serve as a pretty good compilation for 2005. here’s to 2006!
indieish.com
permalink   Sun, Dec 11, 2005 @ 1:34 PM
Here’s to 2006 indeed.

This is an awesome idea Teru, and it has prompted me to do a my favorites of 2005 episode of the revolution. The only hard part is deciding what makes the cut (although, some of my list and creativelycommon’s list look strangely similar, are you looking at my paper?)

Anyway, the favorites show will me _my_ favorites.. arbitrary and unforgiving as they may be. But! This gives me another idea, and so I’m making an offer..

I will take 2 favorites from anyone who wants to post, with the caviat that I may edit for time if the list gets long. I’ll compile them into a show, and release it for that boring week between christmas and new years.

First come first serve.
-G
DeBenedictis
permalink   Sun, Dec 11, 2005 @ 3:25 PM
Grant…

I’ll nominate Teru’s Brad Sucks remix, “I Think I Started a Trend” and the Pat Chilla “Castle of Serenades.”
indieish.com
permalink   Fri, Dec 16, 2005 @ 7:39 AM
Ok, I have lisa’s and creatively common’s..

teru, ash, cdk, pat, victor, et al… I’m looking at you..

-G
teru
permalink   Fri, Dec 16, 2005 @ 3:03 PM
First off, great list Creatively Common! I’m very honoured to be a part of it. Thank you and FGR and Lisa! You’re all awesome.

After realizing what a great list cc had made, I decided to go a different route.

So here’s a list of my 10 favorite tracks in 2005 from ccMixter (mostly). This is not a “Best of” list. Just my personal favs, songs I’ve listened to the most. Genre ranges from downtempo to ambient. Mostly from the Original Tracks pile. No sucking up involved. ;)

http://webjay.org/by/teru/f...

And as FGR put it, “Don’t like my list? Make your own.”

Although #1 should be a gimme. It was remixed 100 times.
ASHWAN
permalink   Sat, Dec 17, 2005 @ 4:31 AM
how do i respond to this?
their has been soooo much good stuff on this site.
i spend way too much time here, as do most of you who will read this, yet I have not heard a fraction of the stuff that is here, so I honestly cannot give you a top ten of any credence.

if i have to think in terms of a top ten, i can only give you a top ten of stuff i have been involved with.

i can think of moments where i have been suprised, impressed, shocked, the stuff that sound really should do to you…SLLID, Genghis, Wuszu, shoes, short faced bear…the list could go on.
then i can think of people that have deeply impressed me in other ways: j.lang(and crew),
victor (especially the hobo remix), pat chilla (damn, twinkle twinkle), LDB, teru, cezary…and congratulations to those who have used this site as a stepping stone to other things. 2005 has been a good year for many, at least in part, due to ccmixter. may 2006 be even stronger for you.

the main thing i think deserves respect and this goes to the full list above and many others: Deutschenschuld, cdk, Dr. Concoction, Deadpan etc etc, (oh yeah, myself) is that we get on with our shit. damn, we are PROLIFIC. i never sit still, and i am amazed at how much stuff other people put out. RESPECT TO YOU ALL!
you are all in my top ten.

Apart from the people on this site I have enjoyed remixing, i could not have done a tenth of my stuff without CURIOUS, JOHN VAN BUREN, Chicago cru I.L. (lyricil and Neptunius), Ronan Tyrrell and Chattabox. I think they are all genii. CURIOUS especially got us a lot of attention with CAN’T WE. that is listed as one of my tracks, but in reality Curious deserves all the credit.

so in answer to fgr’s call for a top ten and in the true spirit of egotistical hip hop, here is the ashwan top ten of ashwan 2005!
1. BLAZE (feat CURIOUS)
2. Take A(nother) Look (feat. CURIOUS)
3. Deutsche’n’Face (Thanks D.U.)
4. Digital Data (feat CHAT n CURIOUS)
5. Smutten (feat IL n CURIOUS)
6. Bangin at your spot (old skool rock)(feat CURIOUS)
7. Angel Face (JVB)
8. Kotsuujuutai Bumpin Traffic Rmx (thanks teru)
9. Only (the Lonely) (thanks j.lang)
10. Can’t We (remix) (feat Curious)

sorry that this became a bit of an essay, but i was asked!
THANK YOU CCMIXTER. you’ve done a great job.
and ESPECIALLY TO VICTOR…that’s a lot of hard work right there.
peace.
Ashwan…three hearts.
victor
permalink   Sat, Dec 17, 2005 @ 9:38 AM
Yea, it’s been quite a whacky year — year of the mixter really. You’re very welcome and a shout goes to CC for having the vision to do this site and flexibility for letting me do, well, kind of whatever I wanted ;)

(And don’t think we don’t have your number ASH ;)

i’ve started my top list several times since this thread started and quickly got overwhelmed. (makes me want to prioritize the ‘playlist’ feature)

not that it’s a cop-out but my ed picks are very close to my personal favorites (the criteria for ed pick and what i personally like is not 100% the same)

i will say that DU’s “Coast to Coast” is one of my favorite cuts, of any music, by anybody, anywhere in the last few years.

Also a special shout to cdk who DELETES more uploads than rest of post for the whole year.

I also wanted to thank the talent here — I have learned SO FREAKING MUCH by listening to your mixes.

and is there any doubt: ‘06 is the year of Ms. Vybe. ;)

I’ll try to run out of excuses and get my list out soon.
cdk
permalink   Tue, Dec 20, 2005 @ 4:36 PM
Quote: Yea, it’s been quite a whacky year — year of the mixter really. You’re very welcome and a shout goes to CC for having the vision to do this site and flexibility for letting me do, well, kind of whatever I wanted ;)

(And don’t think we don’t have your number ASH ;)

i’ve started my top list several times since this thread started and quickly got overwhelmed. (makes me want to prioritize the ‘playlist’ feature)

not that it’s a cop-out but my ed picks are very close to my personal favorites (the criteria for ed pick and what i personally like is not 100% the same)

i will say that DU’s “Coast to Coast” is one of my favorite cuts, of any music, by anybody, anywhere in the last few years.

Also a special shout to cdk who DELETES more uploads than rest of post for the whole year.

I also wanted to thank the talent here — I have learned SO FREAKING MUCH by listening to your mixes.

and is there any doubt: ‘06 is the year of Ms. Vybe. ;)

I’ll try to run out of excuses and get my list out soon.

i didn’t think anyone wanted to hear them anymore…
and some had to be updated… but i will gladly put them back

if you want…
ASHWAN
permalink   Mon, Dec 26, 2005 @ 11:18 AM
that’s not ashwan, that’s john from magnatune.
peace (and goodwill)!
teru
permalink   Thu, Dec 29, 2005 @ 2:54 PM
Hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday Season.

I’ve been trying to make a mix of teru mixes(to give as cheapo gifts). Here’s part of it. It’s actually Pt. 2 of 3. I’m still working on 1 & 3.

The King, the Cuckoo, a System and a Trend.

http://cyberbusker.net/28.mp3

or go to my blog for a pretty album cover too.

http://cyberbusker1.blogspo...

Peace. : )

PS - is that it for the Lists?

I’d like to see more. You can surely do better than my lame-o one. : )

Ash - You still have Kotsujuutai w/ Curious ? I’d like to get my hands on that. Whenever. ThX.
ASHWAN
permalink   Thu, Dec 29, 2005 @ 11:36 PM
That version was actually done by curious…i just looked and i guess he has removed it.
i don’t have a copy and to be honest, the vocals were really badly processed. i can ask him to mail a version to you. i think it was one of his first attempts at processing his own vox and i think he was aware of how much better it could sound.
i’ll speak to him, but you should email him directly also.
hey teru, 2005 looked like a good year (musically) for you. may 2006 be even better my friend.
ash
teru
permalink   Fri, Dec 30, 2005 @ 3:55 PM
“2005 looked like a good year (musically) for you”

Thanks. I’d say you had a pretty decent one yourself. Although it hasn’t been a year yet for you. I have seniority. Hahaha. (like that means anything, just look at how Vic gets ripped on sometimes) ; )

I’ve got a copy Curious’s version on an older hard drive. I’ll wait a little longer to retrieve it. The old drive’s like a time capsule now.

Cheers and peace,

teru