Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Pluggy Plugs » Werewolf

Werewolf

Bruce H. McCosar
permalink   Wed, Feb 6, 2008 @ 7:05 PM
Greetings. This is my first try at ccMixter, so I’d appreciate any advice you could give me. I’ve read the excellent introductions on eMXR. I am new to the entire world of sampling and remixing, however.

I started out as a jazz musician, long ago, but drifted into my own style. I tend to cycle between groovy, funky pieces and more abstract compositions in odd time signatures. Although I consider myself to be (primarily) a bass player, I also make a decent run at keyboard instruments, guitar, and drums. The one thing I can’t do is sing.

I’ve been releasing my music on Jamendo for more than a year. I have three albums posted.

For the most recent, La vie sous la mer, I kept all of my raw tracks intact and unmixed, stored in a separate archive. I have always admired the principle of Creative Commons — all of my albums are by-nc-sa — but one day thought about the practical difficulty of anyone building on my work when the published version was so thick and layered.

Well, then I found ccMixter, and hopefully, the rest is history.

We will see.

Already I’m impressed by some of the material I’ve found here. It’s like opening the proverbial wardrobe door and finding an entire magic kingdom on the other side. In some ways, I don’t know where to start.

But that’s a different thread ;-D

Anyway, glad to be here. Check out my tracks, five of the components of Song #8 on La vie. I did not keep them aligned for time. I figure someone who is brilliant at sampling can pull out what they want and turn them into something that will amaze me. So why force anyone to walk a path I’ve already traveled? Exactly. Free for interpretation.

Glad to meet you all, and I hope if I’ve already made a boo boo, it’s a minor one :D
victor
permalink   Thu, Feb 7, 2008 @ 1:45 PM
outstanding, awesome samples and I certainly appreciate the full tracks (!) but odd meters will definitely be hurdle for most remixers. Sorry if that’s boring but it’s real life.

permalink   Bruce H. McCosar Fri, Feb 8, 2008 @ 2:45 PM
Quote: fourstones… odd meters will definitely be hurdle for most remixers. Sorry if that’s boring but it’s real life.

Thanks for the compliment on the audio quality … you know, like we all do who came here, that’s the most important thing. I’m glad I’m on the right track [so to speak].

As for the odd meters—-

Well, being a jazz person, I’m used to being on the “outside”, so I’m not expecting amazing popularity. Its just that I like unusual grooves. 5/4 isn’t too outside — it worked for the Mission: Impossible guys, and Dave Brubeck, of course.

But what I was hoping was that some sample wizard could use, well —- samples, not the whole thing. Take a piece and use it for the building blocks. Probably the best tracks for that would be the organ bits. With jazz being so syncopated, you can easily lift an organ line or two and fit them to another meter.

The bass lines are another story, but hey, it’s not hard to guess from my user icon my orientation in life :D

So no worries. If they sit there, I’m not going to come storming in like some musical Pharisee and demand recognition for my brilliance. Instead, I might just remix the stuff I find here in 5/4, 7/4, 13/16 … heck, square root of two over two if I can manage it ;-) I’m really here to learn, and to offer up what I have to give.

permalink   victor Fri, Feb 8, 2008 @ 2:55 PM
I know what you mean - I studied with Lalo Shifrin who wrote the original MI theme and you’ll note the modern remake (Adam Clayton?) is in 4/4 ;)

permalink   Bruce H. McCosar Fri, Feb 8, 2008 @ 3:36 PM
Quote: fourstones… you’ll note the modern remake (Adam Clayton?) is in 4/4 ;)

That’s right!

And if you ever heard Charles Earland’s version of “My Favorite Things”, even he shifted it from 3/4 jazz waltz to 4/4. (Coltrane left it in 3/4, but grooved it hard).

On the other hand, Glen Hansard’s best song on “Once” (IMHO) is “When your Mind’s Made Up” … in 5/4.

Neat your connection to Lalo Shifrin. I never studied with anyone. (Unless you count all the jazz records I played along with or transcribed … then you could say I learned from Chet Baker.)
spinmeister
permalink   Fri, Feb 8, 2008 @ 10:42 PM
Quote: Bruce H. McCosar… introductions on eMXR.
thanks for the kind plug!

permalink   Bruce H. McCosar Sat, Feb 9, 2008 @ 6:12 AM
Quote: spinmeister… introductions on eMXR.
thanks for the kind plug!

And thank you for providing an open door.

Cultures tend to die out when they become too hard for newcomers to enter. Maybe you’ve been there: that club, that organization with established members who know all the unspoken rules and seem to hang out in cliques with their long time friends, then wonder why their numbers diminish as the years advance.

I was glad to find this place was the opposite—very open, very straightforward, few pretentions, no gimmicks. No secret handshakes.

Right now I’m finding so many options that sorting through them is taking 90% of my time — just going through the featured sample packs is like taking inventory at that warehouse they stored the Lost Ark in ;-)

Ah, back to work!

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Feb 9, 2008 @ 9:37 AM
I know how you feel. This place is really something special and even after having been around for a little while now, I’m still only scratching the surface. The list of artists and materials I want to do something with is growing at a much faster pace than my time or talent will ever allow. (Some hints can be found on some my playlists. By the way, the playlists are a neat way of essentially bookmarking a bunch of stuff you want to return to later.

Yes, VS (with a little help from some friends) has built quite the magical kingdom here. The ccHost software is not only technically world-class, but also refreshingly different from the myriads of “me too” social sites. The supportive, yet no-nonsense community here has to be amongst the very, very finest I’ve ever experienced (and that dates back to dial-up BBS’s). And setting the tone for the community with his own actions and the occasional push of the “delete” button is arguably as hard as programming some wicked AJAX functionality.

p.s. However, don’t forget the number one rule about secret handshakes: “Don’t mention the secret handshake!” :-)