Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Questions about creative commons

Questions about creative commons

Grimm
permalink   Thu, Mar 29, 2007 @ 5:11 PM
I see different creative commons licenses but most people are using the one that specifies you can only use it in a non-commercial setting. This means that even though I am a poor broke person (not a corporate company) not looking to take advange of making millions off it, I can never release it on CD? I’m just wanting to put out another CD and be lucky if I can recoup any losses on pressing/duplication costs.

On another forum this question was asked and people replied with, “I’m sure it’s alright just credit it.” But the license specifically says not to use in a commercial setting. I think that is kind of sad and I don’t think people always consider that when uploading a sample and selecting a license.

Another thing also, I remember reading a movie that credited for a sample here I think, in the credits. It was a scream. I was surprised that they did that because movies are full of samples and credits could run a mile long if they did that. Even if most of what they use was from stock sample libraries. I’m guessing they did it to help promote the creative commons license which I think was great. But here’s the problem, do we have to credit every individual sample? If that is the case then I better start a bookkeeping log lol. I do some sound collage and it would be a huge mission and loooong filenames to setup my sample library to be able to do that. Bookkeeping is a job in itself. Then I would have to keep a log for each track, and I got plenty of tracks but only a few of them end up something I would want to release. That’s a ton of work to keep track of everything to not even end up using it.

The fact is that people who have big sample libraries, have gigs and gigs of all types of samples. And when they look at the library, it’s sometimes anyone’s guess where it came from. Keep in mind I try to keep my library as neat and organised as possible.
admin
permalink   Thu, Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:21 PM
Hey Grimm, questions about licenses are covered here.

permalink   Grimm Fri, Mar 30, 2007 @ 11:34 PM
Ok I see. Thank you.

One more question, which Creative Commons license is this one that Negativland helped create? Is it version 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

permalink   victor Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 11:19 AM
I think you’re talking about the Sampling family of licenses.