Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Contest Remix Flood

Contest Remix Flood

plurgid
permalink   Thu, Mar 29, 2007 @ 9:15 AM
Durring a popular contest like the current DJ Vadim contest, things get hairy on the main page for remixes that aren’t part of the contest.

I don’t know about everyone else, but what I like to do is to just play the main page with the flash player dynamic playlist thing, and then rate the mixes I like. But when there’s a big contest going on, you get a playlist with like a hundred remixes of “kill kill kill” back to back. It gets hard to listen to, even if every remix is brilliant.

I know I could do this with an advanced search using tags or whatever, but it would be real cool if there was a checkbox preference or something to show the contest entries under a separate tab …
just a thought. Probably a lot of work to implement though.
cdk
permalink   Thu, Mar 29, 2007 @ 10:35 AM
You should have been here for the fort minor contest.

I think thats a good idea too, I tend to dissappear during contests
because of those same reasons.. it’s hard to look for new downloads when there were 10 or 15 contest entries on the same day…
and how will people hear your songs too?

yup…
admin
permalink   Thu, Mar 29, 2007 @ 1:07 PM
bookmark this link

permalink   plurgid Thu, Mar 29, 2007 @ 1:11 PM
wicked. thanks!
tacet
permalink   Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 6:55 PM
Would be cool to add a button for this to the Remixes page, no?

Remix Radio | Latest Remixes | Latest Contest Remixes

I have little interest in the contests to be honest, they seem like a contradiction to me (because it’s a specially licensed commercial track we’re remixing - not one the artist has genuinely contributed exclusively to CC).

I did enjoy the Copyright Criminals competition because the material wasn’t from a pre-recorded release.

I appreciate other folks like enter the competitions, that’s cool. There’s room for everyone :)

permalink   victor Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 10:10 PM
the button is a decent idea, even if your rationale is er, exactly wrong.

The Copyright Criminal samples were never in the Commons and never will be. They were recorded for the movie, not the remix contest and they were All Rights Reserved (which is why they are no longer on the site).

Every track on Magnatune, Jamendo, and every other open label is commercially available AND in the Commons. There’s hardly anything disengenuous about that — that scenario is the goal of the CC licenses and the reason this site exists.

permalink   tacet Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 10:09 AM
Quote: fourstonesthe button is a decent idea, even if your rationale is er, exactly wrong.

I don’t mind being wrong sometimes if my wrong causes and improvement, however….

Quote: fourstonesThe Copyright Criminal samples were never in the Commons and never will be. They were recorded for the movie, not the remix contest and they were All Rights Reserved (which is why they are no longer on the site).

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. Copyright Criminals wasn’t already a music project, a commercial recording for the specific purpose of making someone a living. I think the non-release of the recordings into CC is a tragedy, but never the less, it’s a separate issue.

Quote: fourstonesEvery track on Magnatune, Jamendo, and every other open label is commercially available AND in the Commons. There’s hardly anything disengenuous about that — that scenario is the goal of the CC licenses and the reason this site exists.

Disingenuous is far too strong a word. I wasn’t accusing anyone of being shifty, or underhanded. I don’t find the competitions interesting, and there are conflict issues with licenses and the likes, which probably none of us have time to discuss at full length - it appears even the legal people can’t agree what Non-Commercial actually means for instance, so goodness knows what commercial to NC crossover actually means both practically and morally.

I accept that the competitions have a place in your project strategy, and I’m happy to continue contributing as best I can to what I see as the real golden egg here at ccMixer…..the cc-community.

permalink   teru Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 1:21 PM
My opinion. (I’m a bit grumpy today, sorry if this sounds confrontational)

Contests are great. We should be thankful for them. They give us samples to work with and with every contest the community grows.

Contests have consistently been effective at attracting people. And when someone like FM, VFT, C.Willits, DJ Vadim, etc.. puts up their music, I think it makes people really think that sharing music is a good thing and a safe way to get heard and interact.

Once people get into ccMixter it’s obvious that it’s much much deeper than contest remixes. But for anyone checking out ccMixter for the first couple of times, it makes for a great starting point.

Anyways, your post came across a bit anti-contest, which I’m sure it was not meant to be. I needed to counter-point.

It’s natural to feel a bit jaded in regards to the contests (I’m guilty as well) but without them ccMixter would be completely different place that it is today. It’s not about competition. It’s about the message.

permalink   tacet Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 5:24 PM
Yes, you nailed why I said it’s an important part of the strategy, and I understand that.

We could discuss licensing issues until we’re blue in the face, commercial and non-commercial cross over, the benefit to us vs benefit to the artist, how many hours we spend mixing…oh wait, that’s been done lol :) …the undeniable boost to mixters (new and old) who are fans of the artist…etc etc

It boils down to some folks like the competitions and some don’t. Not wanting to alienate myself here, but the simple fact of the matter is adding up all the pros and cons in my own mind, I’m no fan.

I AM a HUGE fan though of the community of people here who aspire to improve and be heard. They deserve props and all the time I can give to repay them for their effort. I’d rather remix their ideas and hopefully be remixed in return. That for me is infinitely more interesting and rewarding than the competitions.

As plurgid originally pointed out the ccMixter site for those who aren’t interested in (or get bored with) the competitions gets flooded. So much so members of the community, yourself included get jaded or stay away.

Victor has promised a fix, that’s cool coz we can then all do our own thing :)

permalink   plurgid Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 8:06 PM
Dang, dude! I had no idea this would strike so much of a nerve with people.

For the record, I’m not “anti-contest”. I think they’re great. I just think it would be great to have an OPTIONAL perference to segregate the contest remixes under a separate tab. Which we functionally already have in the form of the link posted above, so in a lot of ways: problem already solved.

permalink   teru Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 8:20 PM
Yeah we know.

*We must be the saddest bunch on the entire internet. Every time we discuss anything. It’s 1 comment and then 3 “Oh, don’t misunderstand me…” follow ups.

Too funny.

*the above is meant to be humorous not an attack on anyone, their families, bananas, internets, etc… ; )

permalink   tacet Mon, Apr 2, 2007 @ 5:25 AM
…lol, you nut :)

permalink   cdk Mon, Apr 2, 2007 @ 1:34 PM
yeah i get what you are all saying.
lol.

permalink   §įǷǷƔ�?ʗʯǷ Mon, Apr 2, 2007 @ 10:02 PM
YOu know what I just came to the fourm to throw this idea out there, about keeping the contest sepearate from the reg mixes! I guess great minds think alike. lol
Later
Matthew