Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Time Signatures

Time Signatures

Luke Tripp
permalink   Thu, Dec 21, 2006 @ 4:58 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if it would at all be possible to have a time signature tag for samples. Sort of like the BPM is setup. When the artist uploads their work they can just tag it like normal, or have a special section like the BPM gets where they put it in. Then when you’re searching samples just have a list like limiting it to BPM, you choose what you’re looking for, 4/4, 3/4, 6/4, etc…

Luke
victor
permalink   Fri, Dec 22, 2006 @ 2:56 AM
Searchable time signature, but especially key, is on the to-do list but new features are on hold while I work behind the scenes are serious site performance issues.

permalink   Luke Tripp Fri, Dec 22, 2006 @ 12:02 PM
Alrighty, thanks.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Sun, Oct 10, 2010 @ 5:11 PM
I’d like to bump this feature request from a few years ago. I have some 3/4 music that I thought about trying to remix with a pella, but slogging through all the 4/4 pellas to try and find something to fit 3/4 is excruciating.

And to me, searchable meter is more important than key since, to a certain extent, key can be shifted, but meter can’t.

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Nov 9, 2010 @ 3:44 PM
we are working on our goals for ccM for next year. this type of feedback is important to help us develop our roadmap on what to do next. until we’re able to add a field for time signature, we can at least encourage a culture of adding BPM to comments?

permalink   Clarence Simpson Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 9:58 AM
Comments in the description work too. In the meantime, I had been tagging my uploads as 34_time (for example) just to try and be consistent with the bpm tags that are automatically added.

So, out of curiosity, are there any web developers actively working on ccMixter features since Victor’s “retirement”? Do you need any help in that regard? I’m no web development guru but I’ve added features to a few web systems in my time.

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 10:20 AM
CCHost is actually an award winning fully open source project, with a proper cvn system and ‘official’ developers, licensed under the Gnu 2.0 license (last I checked anyways.)

I’m sure you could study the code and suggest improvements. I’ve been studying it for a while: it is a pleasantly well-architected system based on php over zend.

http://wiki.creativecommons...

It is actually entirely possible to get a copy of it running at home!

permalink   Clarence Simpson Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 10:38 AM
Ah nice. I guess I should’ve expected a site like ccM to run on open-source software. :P

So, is ccM just a plain-vanilla install of ccHost with no custom coding specific to ccM?

Also, there still needs to be someone that maintains the specific ccMixter instance of ccHost though, right? Someone that would update ccMixter when there’s a new ccHost release or whatever?

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 10:50 AM
ccHost was actually specifically written for the purpose of causing CCMixter to exist. As such, you could say it would have to be other sites that migrate away from the main trunk code to support their needs, rather than an issue for CCMixter.

That said, I don’t actually know if there’s been any forking or not. By the look of the code, it doesn’t really look like it.

Hopefully fourstones himself can comment on that. :)

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 11:06 AM
I see you got a real answer. I tend to go all idiot savant when geek stuff arises. ;-)

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 11:14 AM
the geek stuff is the best stuff :D please always be yourself in this way!

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 10, 2010 @ 10:57 AM
hey clarence, go1dfish is overseeing all things tech on ccM and victor still helps us out more than ya’ll can see. :)

of course, assistance is always welcome! volunteering is one of the key elements of ccM that makes it work, and keeps it ad-free and free to musicians/listeners. drop me an email when you get a chance and we can explore this. many thanks for offering!
Eliseo
permalink   Fri, Jul 13, 2012 @ 10:19 PM
So we can search songs by signatures…