Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » cc:mixter for video?

cc:mixter for video?

norelpref
permalink   Sat, Oct 28, 2006 @ 8:59 AM
I beg pardon if this is an old idea, but any thoughts on a cc:mixter-type site incorporating video? Is this already being done somewhere on the web?

I think it would be cool for people to be able to remix video as well as music, and I can think of no better model for doing this than cc:mixter.

I suppose because video files are so much larger, that would pose an upload problem, but I’m sure that could be addressed through FTP, like it’s done at archive.org.

thoughts?
BUNNIES GONE BAD
permalink   Mon, Oct 30, 2006 @ 2:59 AM
This may be an old idea, but I think that it is a good idea! Although, I understand also that going in this direction would result in many organizative and technical issues and perhaps there can be the concrete risk that ccMixter looses its goal/focus to be an audio remixing site.

Redarding “video” I think I’m lucky because 3 of my remixes where used in cc-licensed videos and furthermore I got requests for 2 original works to use in videos. This means visibility!

Therefore I think that at least it would be -as video remixing sites exist on the net- adeguate to think also about the possibility to establish a kind of partnership. I mean like freesound is a source for ccmixter, ccmixter could be a source for video (remixing) sites.

George
victor
permalink   Sat, Oct 28, 2006 @ 12:40 PM
CC doesn’t have plans to do so that I’ve been privy to but I know there are several ccHost installations trying to doing that and at least one Flash mod site but alas I think you and I are over the legal limit (sic) to participate in that one.

VS
victor
permalink   Mon, Oct 30, 2006 @ 11:06 AM
well we definitely have our hands (and bandwidth) full with audio. ccMixter is just one part of a larger strategy to promote open content. The real hope is that it inspires folks to install their own versions via the ccHost source. (One of the big catalysts for blogging’s popularity was when Movable Type and others made it simple to install on any ol server.) So ccMixter is just on possible instance of what’s possible, it’s real success will be measured by how many folks are inspired to install ccHost and start their own specializations, whether it be based on genre or the other media types supported by the code (images, video, text, etc.)

VS

permalink   norelpref Mon, Oct 30, 2006 @ 11:17 AM
Well said. I’ve thought about hosting such an application, but didn’t know whether the uploads would be webased or FTP or if there’d be a limit to file size, and then what formats would be kosher…NTSC or PAL….Quicktime, Flash, MPEG, DivX, xVid….
victor
permalink   Mon, Oct 30, 2006 @ 11:28 AM
We’re veering off into ccHost-land and should probably move this discussion to that list but anyway: The latest version of the code is open ended wrt to file formats — certain types will be heavily validated, others will be just checked for file signature (editable by admins — if you know the signature, you can tell us what it is and we look for that) and then there’s ZERO verify— clearly this latter one should only be used with a server side virus scanner.

The uploading ftp.vs.http.vs.ccPublisher issues are mainly being hashed out by folks a LOT more familiar with video than I. Again, there are several video folks hanging out on the ccHost list talking about thumbnail extraction and hole bunch of stuff I don’t have the time to really get into.

VS