Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » What is a trackback and how do I create one?

What is a trackback and how do I create one?

focus_folks
permalink   Mon, Aug 2, 2021 @ 10:22 PM
Hello!

I have used a piece of CC licensed music that I found on ccmixter.org in a video

The page for the video has a ‘trackback’ section

I thought ‘great, this is where I can submit a link to the uploaded video, so that the creator and anyone that views the page for the work can see that it has been used here’

Cool.

So, I create an account on ccmixter.org, navigate back to the landing page for the work, and…. well, nothing.

There is no way to add a ‘trackback,’ even though the design of the page implies very strongly that you can.

e.g: “No trackbacks yet. Add yours!”

Okay, I will. BUT HOW?

So, I have two questions.

1) Is my intuitive assumption about what a ‘trackback’ is within the context of the ccmixter.org website correct?

2) And if it is, HOW DO I ADD ONE?!

Thank you and best regards,

Focus
Apoxode
admin
permalink   Tue, Aug 3, 2021 @ 10:33 AM
Hi focus_folks,

Thank you so much for joining the ccMixter community, and for your support of cc licensed music!

I’m sorry you are having trouble setting up a trackback for a song you used in a video.
I want to help you as best as I can.
Can you please provide links for the song and video you would like to create a trackback for?

To answer your immediate questions, you are absolutely correct about what a trackback is, and here is how to add one:

On the information page of the song, there are five options under the heading “I used or saw (track name) in A …”
1) Click “video”
2) Fill out the 5 fields that come up in the “Submit a Video Trackback” form.

*to find the “embed video code” information, go to the YouTube video, click on “share” then “embed” then copy and paste the code into the “embed video code here” field of the “Submit a video trackback” form.

Thank you for your patience.
Apoxode

permalink   focus_folks Fri, Aug 6, 2021 @ 5:57 PM
Hi Apoxode,

Thanks for responding,

Re-reading my post, I sound like a real bastard. I’m not. Sorry about that.

I was pretty frustrated though, and your reply suggests to me that we’re looking at completely different things.

The information page of the song, I assume, is this:

http://dig.ccmixter.org/fil...

On that page, there is no heading ‘I used or saw (track name) in A …’

There is nowhere to click ‘video,’ and there are no fields to fill out, there’s also no ‘Submit a Video Trackback’ form

Here’s a screenshot of what I see when I follow the link to airtone’s track:

https://postimg.cc/rDYWSyHM

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Aug 6, 2021 @ 7:11 PM
Hello focus_folks,

Please forgive me, I thought you were looking at the main site.

dig.ccmixter is currently being developed, and unfortunately, some of the features that are available on the main site do not work right now. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you, and hope that this does not dissuade your interest in the ccmixter.org community.

To create a trackback for songs you find on dig.ccmixter, you’ll need to go to the main site first, and there is a shortcut which will come in handy each time you do so:

In the address bar of your browser, simply delete “dig.” which appears in front of “ccmixter.org” and keep all the other address info intact, then go to the page (this also works for beta.ccmixter btw).

This not only takes you to the main site, but to the exact page you need to be in as well.
In this case, it is: http://ccmixter.org/files/airtone/63513

Once there, you will be able to see the areas of the page previously mentioned, and can create the trackback for airtone’s song.

If your video is being hosted somewhere besides YouTube, and you are not able to find the ‘embed code’ info needed to complete the form, please let me know so I can help you with that.

Also, please be aware that there may be a delay in posting your trackback in order for the administrators to verify the links and information provided.

Kind regards,
Apoxode

permalink   focus_folks Fri, Aug 6, 2021 @ 8:51 PM
Hey Apoxode,

No, no. Don’t apologise. This was my fault for not being specific.

“hope that this does not dissuade your interest in the ccmixter.org community.”

Not at all, friend! Thanks for taking the time to set me right. It all makes sense now XD

Since I’m here, I came across your track mixture just now.

I see that non-commercial use is prohibited by the CC license.

I would be interested in using this piece in a video.

I would then go on to post this on YouTube as well as 3speak.tv and perhaps d.tube

I suppose with the possibility of monetisation on YouTube, that this would constitute a commercial use?

For the latter two platforms, there’s no doubt in my mind that it would be commercial due to their nature

So, what’s a guy to do…?

Can we negotiate a deal for my use of your work in these “commercial” platforms?

I use the quotes because there’s a high probability these pieces will not be viewed by anybody organically, and therefore won’t make anything

But hey, you’ve got to start somewhere…

If you’d like to continue this conversation privately, please send an email to focus.folks@protonmail.com or provide your email address for me to do so

Thanks again for you help, your time is appreciated

All the best,

Focus

permalink   Apoxode Sat, Aug 7, 2021 @ 2:45 PM
Focus,

I am glad that I was able to help you and would like to see the video that uses the airtone song.
Would you be willing to provide a link for that video?

Concerning “mixture,” I am flattered that you would like to use the track in one of your videos!

While I am not familiar with 3speak.tv or d.tube, all I can say is that if money is involved in any way, it is commercial. So in the event that monetization cannot be disabled, I don’t think the song can be used. However, “mixture” is available to license through the TuneTrack program, the link for which can be found both in dig.ccmixter via the TuneTrack button and in the information page found at the main site under “CC Plus Licensing.”

Something I just thought of is if you have a chance and are willing, would you mind leaving a review for airtone’s song and possibly recommending it? I know airtone would definitely appreciate the feedback and support.

Thanks again, Focus!

Kind regards,
Apoxode

permalink   focus_folks Thu, Aug 19, 2021 @ 10:59 AM
Quote: ApoxodeFocus,

I am glad that I was able to help you and would like to see the video that uses the airtone song.

Would you be willing to provide a link for that video?

Definitely. Here you go:

https://ecency.com/hive-175568/@goingbike/jnfqujmu

Quote:
Concerning “mixture,” I am flattered that you would like to use the track in one of your videos!

While I am not familiar with 3speak.tv or d.tube, all I can say is that if money is involved in any way, it is commercial. So in the event that monetization cannot be disabled, I don’t think the song can be used. However, “mixture” is available to license through the TuneTrack program, the link for which can be found both in dig.ccmixter via the TuneTrack button and in the information page found at the main site under “CC Plus Licensing.”

On those sites you can receive cryptocurrency rewards if people upvote your content, so I guess that counts. And thanks for the information! Licence purchased :D

Here’s that one:

https://youtu.be/Ng3_5Qery7g

Quote:
Something I just thought of is if you have a chance and are willing, would you mind leaving a review for airtone’s song and possibly recommending it? I know airtone would definitely appreciate the feedback and support.

Great idea! Done.

Quote:
Thanks again, Focus!

No no, thank you

Your help has been invaluable

Have a great day!

Focus

permalink   focus_folks Thu, Aug 19, 2021 @ 11:13 AM
Just tried to make a trackback to the video with mixture but it wouldn’t work. Didn’t like the YouTube link apparently.

https://postimg.cc/21C0qbtL

I was expecting it to do the same with the trackback for airtone’s piece, but it happily accepted the 3Speak link

Web 3.0 ftw! lol

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Aug 20, 2021 @ 12:19 AM
Focus,

Thank you so much for purchasing the license, it is greatly appreciated :)

I am now looking into the issue concerning the trackback error - I am stymied as for what is the cause.
Please allow me a couple of days, as I most likely will need to consult our tech support.

Thank you again!
Apoxode

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Aug 20, 2021 @ 12:39 AM
Hey again, Focus!

It’s the weirdest thing, don’t ask me how it happened, but …

When I put in some additional address info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3_5Qery7g

It accepted it right away, so the trackback has now been submitted for approval.

Seeing as to how the link you provided immediately resolved itself, all I can conjecture is that the trackback requires the final address for embedding.

I remain stymied, but if the results are positive, I’ll take it ;)

Thanks again, Focus!
Apoxode

permalink   focus_folks Sat, Aug 21, 2021 @ 2:17 AM
Hey that’s great!

I was thinking sometime after I wrote my reply, that I should have tried the longer style URL directly from the address bar too, instead of just the shortened version

Looks like that’s what it was

Thanks for sorting it out

-Focus