Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Contest question - using ccmixter uploadeds w/ permission

Contest question - using ccmixter uploadeds w/ permission

shagrugge
permalink   Thu, Feb 23, 2006 @ 1:39 PM
As I understand it, we are not allowed to use other site samples (non contest samples uploaded by other ccmixter artists and producers) in the contest…however…if we obtain permission from the sampled artists to enter as a "collab" entry is the entry then permissible? or is it not allowed based on the cc license restriction and how the contest entry could be used (potential for comercial use provided it is selected among the winners).

If permission is allowed how should it be obtained? is written in email ok?
victor
permalink   Thu, Feb 23, 2006 @ 2:51 PM
Quote: As I understand it, we are not allowed to use other site samples (non contest samples uploaded by other ccmixter artists and producers) in the contest…

actually, that’s not correct, read here for more.

Quote: however…if we obtain permission from the sampled artists to enter as a "collab" entry is the entry then permissible? or is it not allowed based on the cc license restriction and how the contest entry could be used (potential for comercial use provided it is selected among the winners).

If permission is allowed how should it be obtained? is written in email ok?

I am not a lawyer and I don’t have anything to do with the contest so I can’t tell you what is or isn’t a valid entry.

If you have full permission (however you get it and verify it) to use a sample, from where ever, from the owner of the work to use it in a contest that may generate commercial income then you can definitely use it in an entry under your name.

I don’t know about "collaboration" entries in this situation but I know in other contests there have been "bands" that won. Either way there is supposed to be a an actual, single person who is supposed to be responsible for the entry.

VS