Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Search function

Search function

PorchCat
permalink   Mon, Feb 6, 2006 @ 6:09 AM
Can the phpBB search function be enabled so we can look for earlier topics and posts?

*meow*
victor
permalink   Mon, Feb 6, 2006 @ 1:46 PM
You know it’s a rare thing but this time I’m going to have to say "no"

The reason: we’re looking at phasing out phpBB, it seems about 90% of our bugs (and 100% of our trojan vulnerability) comes from the phpBB integration, so enabling more of those features is not timely.

We have enabled the Google (tm) crawler and site search as a second choice — although it could be argued it is more thorough if not more flexible. If that’s working properly that’s a bug we could look into.

Sorry (for now) but when we get the ‘new’ forums I think you’ll be much happier overall.

VS
PorchCat
permalink   Mon, Feb 6, 2006 @ 4:55 PM
Quote: You know it’s a rare thing but this time I’m going to have to say "no"

The reason: we’re looking at phasing out phpBB, it seems about 90% of our bugs (and 100% of our trojan vulnerability) comes from the phpBB integration, so enabling more of those features is not timely.

We have enabled the Google (tm) crawler and site search as a second choice — although it could be argued it is more thorough if not more flexible. If that’s working properly that’s a bug we could look into.

Sorry (for now) but when we get the ‘new’ forums I think you’ll be much happier overall.

VS

Quite fair enough. I understand the phpBB "problem". It’s an exceedingly popular forum software and therefore an exceedingly popular target for exploits. Thanks for the reply!

*meow*
frenchy
permalink   Tue, Feb 28, 2006 @ 4:22 PM
Hello :)

First post, first complaint ;)

Quote: You know it’s a rare thing but this time I’m going to have to say "no"

I must admit I find it also very disturbing not to have a search function in a "forum". I think it’s an essential functionnality for "community building".

If you’re worried about security concern maybe you should have a look at the Open Source punBB (less targeted and bloated). That’s what Jamendo chose:
http://forums.jamendo.com

Whatever the solutions I hope you will find a way :)

Thanks

cheers