Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » rapbattles.com vs ccmixter.org

rapbattles.com vs ccmixter.org

shagrugge
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 10:38 AM
Ever given any consideration to teaming up with a site like rapbattles.com to get some more emcees in here?

im feelin some battlin but I been holdin back outta respek for who’s here… and me being a new user and all. Also, it don’t look like protocol or ethic on this site allows for production battlin’ and dissin’
victor
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 7:18 PM
dissin is very rare, but it’s happened a few times (approx. 100% of the time aimed at me for leaving less than stellar ass-kissing reviews)

personally I don’t mind it if it’s actually done in the name of music. If it actually inspires better remixes then go for it. My personal preference is somewhere in between racial/maternal slurs and leaving only "encouraging" remarks on an upload that’s below par (which can kill the site) — but that’s just me.

Perhaps the way to do it, if you know anybody over there, is to cherry pick the best ones and invite them over privately.

VS
victor
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 7:20 PM
er, i guess what I forgot to say is that battling with remixes is definitely a cool thing to do. we don’t do comparison ratings but raising the stakes, via uploads, not forum chatter, is definitely good.
shagrugge
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 7:47 PM
Quote: for leaving less than stellar ass-kissing reviews

I was beginning to think this kind of review was mandatory if you want your songs to get rated well…I’m almost certain my brutal honesty while reviewing has hurt my ratings. I just wish some people would come out and talk instead of hiding behind the lack of stars. If I rate someone low…I’ll tell them why. If I got flaws in a track I want someone to tell me so I can take a look at it. People aren’t going to improve otherwise.
creativelycommon
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 8:05 PM
Quote: Quote: for leaving less than stellar ass-kissing reviews

I was beginning to think this kind of review was mandatory if you want your songs to get rated well…I’m almost certain my brutal honesty while reviewing has hurt my ratings. I just wish some people would come out and talk instead of hiding behind the lack of stars. If I rate someone low…I’ll tell them why. If I got flaws in a track I want someone to tell me so I can take a look at it. People aren’t going to improve otherwise.

I think there is a "don’t say anything if you can’t say something nice" factor at play here. One can learn through critical comments or one can notice which tracks actually receive praise. Personally, I am grateful for criticism and I offer it when I’m able. Everyone is different seņor.

Regarding dissing, I prefer a friendly environment. However, mix-offs and other exchanges through the mixes themselves is a very exciting idea. As long as we’re all having fun..
victor
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 8:33 PM
whenever we have this conversation I have to remind folks that the number of ratings for any song is very, very low even though it’s gotten much better since I checked in the one-click ratings system. Still, one or two "payback-ratings" can stick it to honest critical reviewers.

so the real answer is for the community to encourage more ratings. If you guys can think of any ‘reward’ system for ratings I’m more than open to it.

once the numbers are big enough, dropping a payback bomb will have little to no effect.
victor
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2006 @ 8:38 PM
btw, shag, if you know what’s good for you, you won’t get too hung up on the ratings under circumstances.

I know you’re not fishing for this but the fact is, you’ve been an amazing addition to the site and your contributions, especially in quality, have not gone unnoticed.

someone in private email to me called you ‘edpick fodder’ — you’re making the site and the Commons a better place.
shagrugge
permalink   Mon, Jan 23, 2006 @ 12:51 PM
thanks…I definitely dig the site, the overall concept and philosophy of it all, a tribute to those who own and operate.
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Jan 28, 2006 @ 9:47 AM
Quote: thanks…I definitely dig the site, the overall concept and philosophy of it all, a tribute to those who own and operate.

Let me weigh in, too, to say you’re a really positive force here, with your eclectic uploads.

As for the "stars"? They’re useful, to an extent, but they aren’t a show of "who’s got game". The work is the show of the game.