Deep Roots Remix Event
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Sibilance

Sibilance

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Apr 4, 2015 @ 2:13 PM
How do you deal with sibilance when producing vocals? It really is a challenge for me. Any helpful tips are appreciated. Thanks so much.
duckett
permalink   Tue, Apr 7, 2015 @ 10:35 AM
Check this out :)
Quarkstar
permalink   Fri, Apr 10, 2015 @ 12:05 AM
Placing the microphone either above or below the line of fire and angling it. There are quite a few tips about that on the internet.

I find your vocals easy to work with, you don’t have a great deal of sibilance when you sing. I only use a small amount of de-essing on your vocals. Personally I wouldn’t change anything. Certainly don’t position the microphone like Lemmy.
Quarkstar
permalink   Fri, Apr 10, 2015 @ 2:04 AM
I also use the Willbury method. Jeff Lynne and George Harrison were great advocates of this method going so far as naming a group The Travelling Willlburys. It comes from the phrase “We’ll Bury em’ in the mix.”

The Travelling Willbury’s were Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty.
ScOmBer
permalink   Wed, Apr 15, 2015 @ 3:39 PM
The best vocal mic recording advice I got was from Stav (Michael Stavrou). He was kind enough to visit me and Sassygal a couple of times and give us a few pointers.
Get someone who knows the song and your technique to “ride the faders”, set the mic at an angle (no pop screen required) and “chase the flame”.
His book, is one I can read over and over again and I always get something new from it each time.
He believes that if you get it right at the recording stage, no post production fixes or enhancements should be necessary.

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Apr 18, 2015 @ 7:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Helpful and much appreciated.