Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » A Comment About Musical Communities on the Internet

A Comment About Musical Communities on the Internet

essesq
permalink   Mon, Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:30 PM
Let me be very clear that this posting is not in any way meant to point to any shortcoming on this site. Quite the opposite. If anything it is an expression of gratitude for what is done here and a “vent” for lack of a better word for what was done somewhere else.

End Disclaimer…

A bunch of us on this site migrated, like a small throng of refugees from a site known as Real World Remixed started by Peter Gabriel and his label Realworld. Little stewardship was offered from HQ but we as site members took it upon ourselves to build a community which later got the site recognized by Business Week Magazine for a model for other companies to emulate.

There was a time that some of us spent many hours conversing in forums, commenting on and and creating music that we uploaded. There were lots of forum entries, goodness how many tracks and thousands of reviews. It has all disappeared, replaced by what appears to be a Soundcloud based remix idea.

Now I’m not here to say that the site should have been hosted in perpetuity, but hey a note to everyone who was registered to let us know that it was closing down might have been nice. I feel as though the members contributions were treated as though they were nothing. That hurts… a lot. I want this post to stand as my one message that people can make a space for artists but can’t just suck the energy out of them and use it as they see fit.

Some respect must be shown those we encounter both in real life and in the virtual world, even if we never come to know them beyond a nick name or an avatar.

There are things I got from my time on that site that no one can ever take away, but I wish things had been handled differently.
Loveshadow
permalink   Mon, Jul 9, 2012 @ 7:20 PM
I agree, further more there is a unique feeling that comes out of contributing to the net in a way that is like nothing in real life.

It is the insult that comes from the use of the delete button. Realworld never cared about the mixes or the mixers or the community that began without their involvement and now I don’t care about them, their records or their artists.

I have bought every PG album in my time but their snide use of the delete button means they have lost my respect and a customer. Sad that such a forward thinking artist and label does not fully understand the ramifications of such an abrubt public act or just what’s going on.

I have unsubscribed to their emails a little way to show I am no longer interested, it wont be noticed , nothing ever was.
spinmeister
permalink   Sat, Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:15 PM
not sure whether to laugh - or - cry

permalink   essesq Sat, Nov 17, 2012 @ 6:03 PM
Both, I think. Seems they are more about lawyers than they are about art :-(. Not that there’s anything wrong with lawyers…;-).

permalink   spinmeister Sun, Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:10 PM
unfortunately it seems that the traditional music business is pretty much wired that way. PG and his record company aren’t alone in this regard by any means. I share your disappointment/disgust with the takedown of the old rwrm site, since it’s not that expensive to keep an archive around. Or at the very least communicate with your community. But that communication was never there.

Unfortunately, failures to communicate with key stakeholders aren’t as uncommon as one might hope.

Over the last few days it looked like support for copyright reform might come from unexpected quarters, but alas, that only lasted for a few hours.

permalink   essesq Mon, Nov 19, 2012 @ 6:26 AM
That’s interesting. It must have been really short-lived because I don’t remember EFF sending out a notice about it. I think what will happen over the long haul is that so much sharing/broadcasting/using of material will be going on that it will reach such a critical mass that no one will be able to police it through legal channels. My concern over it all is that artists not be on the losing end of the deal by never having a way to earn a respectable living off their work. I have heard of a number of artists marketing directly to their supporters and that model seems to work for them. It will be interesting to watch the landscape evolve.

permalink   mwic Fri, Nov 30, 2012 @ 3:10 PM
Quote: spinmeisterOver the last few days it looked like support for copyright reform might come from unexpected quarters, but alas, that only lasted for a few hours.

It didn’t get as far as the EFF because it was just a topic of study & conversation within the party. Conversation is kinda continuing at #FixCopyright hash on twitter