Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » SOPA / PIPA Strike Jan 18

SOPA / PIPA Strike Jan 18

admin
permalink   Tue, Jan 17, 2012 @ 2:39 PM
On January 18 from 8:00 am ET and 8:00 pm ET, ArtisTech Media will darken ccMixter.org, dig.ccmixter.org and TuneTrack.net as to participate in the SOPA Strike. We strike to show solidarity with the Creative Commons, EFF, Google, Wikipedia, Reddit, Mozilla, and many others that promote Creative Commons licensing and sharing. If you are concerned about the freedom of the internet, in great part which makes the operation of ccMixter.org possible, we encourage you to share the SOPA Strike message through Twitter (#SOPASTRIKE) and other social media. You can read more on the SOPA Strike here http://sopastrike.com/.

“SOPA threatens every site on Internet, but would especially harm the commons, as the Electronic Frontier Foundation explains,” says Linksvayer of the Creative Commons, “SOPA would drastically increase both the costs and risks of providing platforms for sharing and collaboration (think sites ranging from individual blogs to massive community projects such as Wikipedia, from open education repositories to Flickr and YouTube), and vaporize accessibility to huge swathes of free culture, whether because running a platform becomes too costly, or a single possibly infringing item causes an entire domain to be taken down.”

At ccMixter.org, we all work together to make certain only original content under Creative Commons licensed is shared. ccMixter does not support piracy — and does support musicians (we are musicians)! On rare occasion, we find infringing material uploaded to ccMixter.org, and thanks to the watchful help of our administrators, editors and the entire community, we do our very best to remove it immediately. Even so, SOPA and PIPA could enable the shut down of ccMixter.org, without recourse.

Techdirt has excellent coverage of SOPA and its ill effects.

We apologize for any inconvenience the SOPA Strike may cause, and we consider the action we’re taking to be a sacrifice! Putting ccMixter.org in maintenance mode for 12 hours will greatly limit our creative experience, but we believe sends an important message.

We appreciate your support!

ccMixter Administrators
essesq
permalink   Tue, Jan 17, 2012 @ 4:04 PM
FYI if you are in the US and want to write to your congress members, EFF has a form to submit that I think will also identify your legislators. I followed a link off craigslist that took me to the EFF page.

I’ll miss ya mixter, but totally support the cause. Long live digital freedom!

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Jan 17, 2012 @ 8:47 PM
Thanks for the tip E.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Jan 17, 2012 @ 8:43 PM
Thanks for posting this important information.
Platinum Butterfly
permalink   Tue, Jan 17, 2012 @ 11:38 PM
good initiative, people need to know it is serious business that governments are trying to cencor the internet, and stand up for theirselves
CSoul
permalink   Wed, Jan 18, 2012 @ 3:53 AM
THANKS FOR INFORMATION…
duckett
permalink   Wed, Jan 18, 2012 @ 11:26 PM
SOPA/PIPA to me is both surprising, yet unsurprising; surprising in the sense of “Are the companies behind this REALLY that clueless as to what a profoundly BAD PR move this is, let alone the countless other negative long-term repercussions?”

Unsurprising, in the sense of historical context- piano rolls, cassette recorders, VHS, DAT… this is one song we’ve all heard before- and the hysteria has been justified, lemme think… Oh, that’s right- NEVER.
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Thu, Jan 19, 2012 @ 10:18 PM
I saw a great quote on a sign - it read “It is no longer an excuse to not understand how the internet works.”
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sun, Jan 22, 2012 @ 7:41 AM
You know, the day after SOPA fell, they took down Megaupload, one of the sites they claimed they needed new laws for.

Seems to me they are doing just fine with the laws they already have.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Jan 23, 2012 @ 11:28 AM
couldn’t agree more Admiral. the DMCA and current legal system provide more than adequate recourse for issues. i was inspired to see communities all around the internet educate about the truth and dangers of SOPA and PIPA.

a special thanks to you, Richard, and everyone else here, that helps keep ccMixter’s content CC licensed material only.