Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » which software/tool you use to create music?

which software/tool you use to create music?

pt_music
permalink   Tue, Oct 18, 2011 @ 10:16 AM
hi, one simple question.
which software/tool you use to create music and perhaps why? (like cubase, garage band, audiacity)

i will start with it and i have no idea what is good atm.

thx for reply :)
Clarence Simpson
permalink   Thu, Oct 27, 2011 @ 10:21 AM
I had used Cakewalk Sonar for years but just recently switched over to Reaper and have never looked back. I’m very much a fan of Reaper now.

One thing you might be interested in looking at is this page:

http://ccmixter.org/view/me...

It’s a list of all the tools that all the ccMixter users say they use. So you can scroll down the list and see which tools have the most users if you are just looking for the most popular ones.
salvatore_j
permalink   Thu, Oct 27, 2011 @ 11:10 PM
I am far form being one of the best music creators, but, do know my programs!!

Owning most mainstream throughout the years, always found myself leaning back and currently using FL Studio 10 Producer Edition.

I believe FLP was overlooked by many because of its “grid only” layout during early development. today it’s as good if not better then others realizing FLP developers forgot nothing… i’m still discovering undiscovered things, eight years later.

I confidently will say:
“if you think you cant do something using FLP “, only means, “you haven’t learned the program well enough yet”……

Steinberg’s REASON is another favorite…
The balls it has within it’s sound processing cannot be matched or seemingly beaten…. till this day cannot figure out how they achieve this massiveness.

OLDIE but GOODY:
Adobe Audition is also top notch, focused being more scientific for mastering.

I’m soon upgrading from Sony Acid 7 to 11,,,, why?,, cause i have rocks in my head,,,
but,,,

Its beat mapping and stretch capabilities are like none other, literally pulling off miracles with loops that drift in tempo.

PS: Never heard of Reaper!!,,,, defiantly will check it out….

Best to all,, SJ…

permalink   texasradiofish Thu, Nov 24, 2011 @ 4:08 AM
Currently, I use FL Studio 10 and like the grid layout. Used to record with Cubase but now record with FL Studio as well.

Haven’t got all the plug-ins working well under with 64-bit Win 7 and FL Studio 10. Izotope Ozone 5 and Alloy aren’t happy all the time. California Sun amp plugin by AuraPlug is also not happy.

permalink   salvatore_j Thu, Nov 24, 2011 @ 9:36 AM
Quote: texasradiofishCurrently, I use FL Studio 10 and like the grid layout. Used to record with Cubase but now record with FL Studio as well.

Haven’t got all the plug-ins working well under with 64-bit Win 7 and FL Studio 10. Izotope Ozone 5 and Alloy aren’t happy all the time. California Sun amp plugin by AuraPlug is also not happy.

Hey there texasradiofish ,,,,, I Defiantly hear you and experienced the same, now all good….

After installing a FRESH terabyte hard-drive…all problems with plugs seemingly vanished!!

I was told by a fellow who matters in computer forensics ,,

make sure there are no cracked or key generated programs in the loop since this will defiantly cause weird things to happen. the old days are gone!!!

also,,,
You should join FLP forums and post your issues… FLP’s trouble-shooter team is phenomenal, there response is almost immediate and thorough..——-

FYI:
I’m pretty sure FLP will soon be eliminating the grid completely,,,

Chat soon,,, happy turkey day to all,
Sal
vo1k1
permalink   Fri, Oct 28, 2011 @ 6:41 PM
I’ve owned a number of DAWs, and was a big Digital Performer user for years. Now I’m way into Ableton Live. I remember distinctly when it began to feel like I was making music, not using an application. Now I’m beginning to explore the possibilities present in building MIDI and audio Max 4 Live patches in Live. Amazing stuff! And, there are so many interesting, alternative, music and MIDI generating iThing apps, that I’ve been trying to make sure that I can easily pipe that into Ableton Live. So much innovation right now! Great time to be making any music you want.
septahelix
permalink   Tue, Nov 1, 2011 @ 5:12 PM
i like ableton a whole lot, but i’ve also used it for about seven years and have never used anything else besides Fruity Loops and Cool Edit Pro (older version of Adobe Audition). i’m pretty sure they all do the same basic things, just a little differently. try ‘em out and see which one you find more fitting to you and your music.

i agree with vo1k1 - with ableton, i feel like i’m actually making music. that’s a great way to put it.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Wed, Nov 2, 2011 @ 6:19 AM
I started with music maker but currently I’m using FL Studio and I doubt I’ll ever trade it for something else. I’ve started at v3 and now it allmost inside out so for me it works very intuitivly and fast.
For starters it’s perfect and if you upgrade the synths and plug-ins to some good quality third party stuff it does all you need and sounds very good.

For other duties (mixing and mastering) I also use FL but that will be traded for something else (cubase or pro tools). I also use cool edit pro for it’s dynamic processor and noise filters and audacity for recording and cutting
My Free Mickey
permalink   Thu, Nov 24, 2011 @ 1:59 AM
Hi,

I am starting out on Renoise. Because I see it at a fair buy. Demo is unlimed in time And the costis low but the software is high quality.
And it works on linux

It’s very different from other things I used before. But I’me starting to figure it out. It’s awesome!
Admiral Bob
permalink   Thu, Nov 24, 2011 @ 6:45 AM
I don’t use just one thing.

I sometimes use a hardware only solution (a Fostex MR-8.) I sometimes use Reaper. Sometimes Ableton. Sometimes Audacity. And also sometimes GarageBand.

I also just use whatever I can find that I haven’t tried before. :)
Painfulcompanion
permalink   Fri, Nov 25, 2011 @ 8:43 PM
Started with SX1….and right now im (still) on CB5. I luv Ad-drums ;-) Atmosphere…eerm..Every strings i could get…..mmmh…n CC-Mixter !!!
zerointeractive
permalink   Mon, Nov 28, 2011 @ 1:31 AM
Apple Logic for sequencing and Adobe Soundbooth for mastering.
In the past I used a lot of trackers such as Fast Tracker, Impulse Tracker and MadTracker, but quit the tracker scene after switching to Apple.
pt_music
permalink   Wed, Dec 21, 2011 @ 8:30 AM
thx@all for response

it’s hard for me to find the right one.
i can’t play any instrument. only what i have, is a sensible ear for sounds. music are feeling for me. i don’t know about notes and rules of composing. it’s always intuitive for me.

after a first look at garageband, i was impressed of the intuitivity to create tracks with this program.
but it’s mac only so i have to look for alternatives under win7 x64 or i have to rest some money for a little macbook in the future.

anecdote:
btw… my first steps to making music was with music maker at the playstation one. XD
very complexe at the console and there was the abillity to create your own samples. awesome at this time for a console. but nothing serious. :)

permalink   stellarartwars Fri, Dec 23, 2011 @ 1:03 PM
Quote: pt_musicthx@all for response

it’s hard for me to find the right one.
i can’t play any instrument. only what i have, is a sensible ear for sounds. music are feeling for me. i don’t know about notes and rules of composing. it’s always intuitive for me.

after a first look at garageband, i was impressed of the intuitivity to create tracks with this program.
but it’s mac only so i have to look for alternatives under win7 x64 or i have to rest some money for a little macbook in the future.

anecdote:
btw… my first steps to making music was with music maker at the playstation one. XD
very complexe at the console and there was the abillity to create your own samples. awesome at this time for a console. but nothing serious. :)

Use VERY old software myself- Cubase VST 5, from about 2000. Because of it’s lightweight nature, I can use all the plugins I want.

Commercial plug ins include Halion, Pro-52, B4, FM8, plus loads of freebies found mainly at http://www.vst4free.com/

I also use Reason 3.0 for creating loops, both melodic and percussive.

I use SFZ+ soundfont player, plus loads of free sounbacks,, notably Fluid
pt_music
permalink   Tue, Jan 3, 2012 @ 4:34 AM
today i’ve bought Renoise.
thx for all of your responses
sindee
permalink   Fri, Sep 28, 2012 @ 5:52 AM
I am using reaper before but I am still looking for better. I just wanna explore more about tadalafil prescribed for ED on creating music that is why I am looking for something beneficial.