Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Need help recording live vocals/instruments at BPM

Need help recording live vocals/instruments at BPM

mindink
permalink   Thu, Sep 22, 2011 @ 8:32 PM
So I’m using Ableton to record my flute. I’ve set it to 90 BPM’s. I’m not exactly sure where to set the latency.

But it seems like even though I’m recording live in time with the metronome, the sample seems off. Probably because of latency.

Do I need to worry about this? Or as long as I record at a certain BPM, others will be able to “move” the track to the correct position within their editor when working with my samples?

Or do I need to make sure that when I record the timing is exact and perfect?

The same goes with vocals.

:(

Now i’m kinda let down about all this.
mindink
permalink   Thu, Sep 22, 2011 @ 8:53 PM
OK I think I figured it out if someone could please confirm.

I can actually alter the time line to show 32 bars, and then I can adjust my recording to account for the latency. I did this, and when I play it back, my sample is in time with the metronome.

Do I need to quantize? Will that help with live vocals/instruments does anyone know?

I also adjusted the latency the best I could. I think I’m almost good to go.
septahelix
permalink   Thu, Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:46 PM
i’ve had a lot of trouble with this before. latency is in preferences. once, i had to download an ASIO driver, of which there’s a freeware version. you can also just fiddle around with the settings and get it lined up. you might have to change your sound card settings in preferences.

i have never used the quantize thing.

hope this helps some, and hopefully someone knows more precisely how to go about this than me.

permalink   Admiral Bob Fri, Sep 23, 2011 @ 1:14 PM
That’s one of the problems with the cheapy XLR to USB adapters. A proper audio interface will come with a USB to ASIO interface, which will give you nearly real time recording.

One can tackle this one of two ways:

- adjust the track after recording so it is in line, or:
- You might be able to fudge it with a fake ASIO driver like ASIO4ALL.

http://www.asio4all.com/

- Or like you said, leave it to remixers, who do funky things to line it up usually anyways.

permalink   mindink Fri, Sep 23, 2011 @ 3:54 PM
ASIO4ALL works like a charm.

I actually installed it last night but couldn’t get it to work. Tonight I opened up the Hardware Setting and had to enable the USB adapter within the ASIO control panel and that did the trick. Practically no latency.

Woohoo!