Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Wrong licence on posted file

Wrong licence on posted file

Beluga Ten
permalink   Fri, Feb 4, 2011 @ 11:06 AM
Hi,

I’ve just posted a new remix, which contained two samples. One sample was licenced as CC-BY-NC, and the other was CC-Sampling+ (ie. neither were Share-Alike).

http://ccmixter.org/files/B...

For some reason, my remix can only be posted with a CC-Sampling+ licence. Is there a way to change it back to CC-BY-NC (which is what I wanted)?

Thanks.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Fri, Feb 4, 2011 @ 11:09 AM
In order to ensure the maximum compatibility with all the licenses in the “source ancestry” of a remix, CCMixter automatically sets your remix’s license type to the most restrictive of the license types used in the source tree. The idea is that if, say, you were to remix a Scomber song that he only offered non-commercially, you can’t use your version to loosen his license restrictions any further. You have to offer a license that is either similar or even more restrictive (if another source has a more restrictive license.)

So that’s the only caution I would offer, particularly if using Freesound samples… you’re going to end up attached to the sampling licenses typically used over there.

permalink   Beluga Ten Fri, Feb 4, 2011 @ 2:38 PM
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I’m still trying to get my head around CC licencing and the implications for composite material.

On looking at both licences side-by-side, it all looks fine. I was concerned about the NC element, but I can now see that the Sampling+ licence includes this. The description on the Creative Commons web site doesn’t use the customary symbol (dollar sign with diagonal line), which I guess is what threw me.

Thanks for the advice - will bear it mind.

permalink   Clarence Simpson Mon, Feb 7, 2011 @ 9:55 AM
I agree with the sampling license being confusing. It took me a long time before I figured it out. It just doesn’t fit in with the pattern of the other CC licenses just being a combination of different restrictions: BY, ND, NC, SA.

I really wish CC would just add a new clause and deprecate the sampling license to avoid that confusion.