Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » A Modest Proposal. . . . .

A Modest Proposal. . . . .

panu
permalink   Tue, Dec 21, 2010 @ 8:18 AM
even though ccM is by far the top music site on the web, i’ve been thinking a lot on what could be done to make the knowledge base even more accessible, especially to new comers. busting through the digital ceiling can be a daunting situation under the best of circumstances. in the absence of well-honed production skills and some lucky networking it’s nigh unto impossible. i’ll say publicly if it were not for the unselfish input from rt, colab, and Loveshadow i’d still be doing demos on a Sony 4-track cassette deck, hiss and all.

so, my suggestion is to promote the wealth of knowledge in forum topics like ‘DIY’ & ‘The Big OT’ on the Homepage so people are more aware of the resources available. and i think it would be good to add a songwriter’s critique page as well as a mentoring program that would give aspiring newcomers a chance to interact and get feedback from an established re-mixer.

the goal of all this would be to ‘pay forward’, improve the quality of tracks on ccM, and de-mystify the process of finding one’s voice and getting heard in the best possible light.

‘may brutal fact persuade us to adventure, art, and peace’. w.h. auden
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Dec 21, 2010 @ 8:38 AM
What a timely post Panu. The admins have recently discussed these very topics — disseminatating “how to” knowledge to the community in a focused and easily accessible way as a resource to encourage/promote the ongoing improvement of the technial quality in the source material found at ccM. While this would be especially useful for newbies to ccM and neophytes to the recording process, the breadth of knowledge, experience, techniques and tricks apparent in the community is a golden resource for everyone — even the most experienced producer. I know that I too have personally benefitted from input given to me by more experienced mixters (including you, my friend!). As it is ccM’s “nature” to share what we know, I for one take this post to heart. I particularly love the idea of a mentoring program. These are juicy suggestions indeed!
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Dec 21, 2010 @ 8:55 AM
I really like the mentoring program idea too. When I think back to when I first got here, I just had no clue how to begin with a remix. Heck, I wasn’t all that clear even on how to post source, which is why my first contribution was spread across 5 different tracks!

Just because someone knows how to record and arrange music doesn’t mean they know how to remix or participate in the community.

I think you’ve come up with a genius idea for how to tackle that. 1,213 ’s up! ;-)
Abstract Audio
permalink   Wed, Dec 22, 2010 @ 6:47 AM
Great idea!
I have definitly heard one or two songs/acapella’s that could improve a lot with some simple audio treatment. So if I can be of any help in this let me know!
Abstract Audio
permalink   Thu, Jan 6, 2011 @ 3:36 AM
any developments in this area?

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Jan 6, 2011 @ 12:10 PM
Developing content like this will take some time. We’ve been talking on just exactly how to do this, and there is progress, but with the holiday season just having past, it is still early days. I can safely say that volunteers are welcome. :)

When there’s news to tell, I’m sure snowflake will share it.

permalink   Abstract Audio Fri, Jan 7, 2011 @ 4:35 PM
I can understand that, the days before the holidays seem so far away :)

If needed and if I can I’m willing to volunteer in anyway, so here’s my (first) 0,02

One thing that could easily be done is collecting tips from our many members. Similiar to the articles in magazines like futre/computer music and sound on sound (20 reverb tips, 78 fx tricks). Creating 1 topic per subject and let evrybody post there tips, all questions and comments about them could then be replyed.
Something similiar could be done about quality free-/shareware software. I know there’s kvr but the problem there is the huge amount of crap that also can be found there.

Other articles that helped a lot where the inside stories about classic tracks and albums. It might be interesting to do that with the ed picks.

An idea you could work with is something they do on the dutch synthforum. What they would do was open a topic for a few weeks where every body could ask a question to a specific (professional) artist. Then they present that list (with a maximum of 50 questions) as a Q&A to they artist.

permalink   panu Tue, Jan 11, 2011 @ 9:44 AM
when the time comes i’m ready to help any way i can. especially with tips on clean, clear acapellas. gimme a shout.