Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » stereotypical "new computer, sounds distorted" rec

stereotypical "new computer, sounds distorted" rec

gurdonark
permalink   Sun, Sep 4, 2005 @ 12:07 PM
Y’all are so much better than I am in so many ways on the technical aspect of things. I’m having a recording problem which I suspect everyone encounters who records virtually.

I just got a new desktop windows computer. I can record “stereo mix” in good order. But when I try to record my mic, I’m getting kazoo-like distortion.
I lowered the recording sound levels. I lowered the softstudio sound levels. I turned off the mic boost.
I brought down the recording decibels.

I don’t mind noise in my works—I thrive on it a little. But the noise is out of hand. Any ideas on things I might tweak to figure out what is driving me distortion happy?

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.
victor
permalink   Wed, Sep 7, 2005 @ 12:05 PM
What software are you using to do the recording?
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Thu, Sep 8, 2005 @ 2:41 PM
Quote: getting kazoo-like distortion

i recently tried to record my kids and play with effects using a beige "computer" mic (i was trying to keep it simple & not lug up a mic and preamp from the basement), and i got the same kind of distortion. i blamed it on my mic, because i tried both the out-of-box sound card and my echo (nicer) card - same result on both. but i’m not positive it was the mic; it could just be an impedence issue (i.e. the mic & sound card input aren’t playing well together, but the mic might work some other way). as far as software, i think even the windows sound recorder should work ok if input levels are alright.

i guess i’d consult manuals (computer & sound card if you can determine which one you have and then find the manual online) if you haven’t already. the "sure" path to getting good sound from mic to computer isn’t cheap (i recently went through it). the minimum is probably an upgraded sound card with a "line in" input, because the built-in mic preamps on out-of-box cards are of generally low quality (noisy & poor a/d & d/a converters). m-audio makes a fairly well regarded entry level card. and then beyond that, a basic recording set up will probably require a mic pre & microphone ( here’s a previous post on that topic). I would not jump straight to the new card, preamp, & mic solution if you won’t be doing much recording, though. If you can buy another mic with the option to return it, I’d do that & try it out first, I guess.

Question out of curiousity: have you loaded any of these kazoo-like sounds into the sampler? ;)

Good luck.

Chris
gurdonark
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2005 @ 6:11 PM
Quote: What software are you using to do the recording?

I use magix audio studio.
gurdonark
permalink   Wed, Sep 14, 2005 @ 6:12 PM
Quote: Quote: getting kazoo-like distortion

i recently tried to record my kids and play with effects using a beige "computer" mic (i was trying to keep it simple & not lug up a mic and preamp from the basement), and i got the same kind of distortion. i blamed it on my mic, because i tried both the out-of-box sound card and my echo (nicer) card - same result on both. but i’m not positive it was the mic; it could just be an impedence issue (i.e. the mic & sound card input aren’t playing well together, but the mic might work some other way). as far as software, i think even the windows sound recorder should work ok if input levels are alright.

i guess i’d consult manuals (computer & sound card if you can determine which one you have and then find the manual online) if you haven’t already. the "sure" path to getting good sound from mic to computer isn’t cheap (i recently went through it). the minimum is probably an upgraded sound card with a "line in" input, because the built-in mic preamps on out-of-box cards are of generally low quality (noisy & poor a/d & d/a converters). m-audio makes a fairly well regarded entry level card. and then beyond that, a basic recording set up will probably require a mic pre & microphone ( here’s a previous post on that topic). I would not jump straight to the new card, preamp, & mic solution if you won’t be doing much recording, though. If you can buy another mic with the option to return it, I’d do that & try it out first, I guess.

Question out of curiousity: have you loaded any of these kazoo-like sounds into the sampler? ;)

Good luck.

Chris

hi Chris:

Good advice! Thanks. I have loaded it into the sampler, and it’s really a fun sound. But I want to someday record a ‘pella 1/1000th as good as one of yours, and that’s going to require less distortion.