Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Voice to notation software?

Voice to notation software?

debbizo
permalink   Mon, Aug 23, 2010 @ 7:19 PM
Hi, Can anyone recommend some software that does voice to notation and allows you save it and export as a midi (or even .wav)? I have a free trial of Music Masterworks, which can do this…but it is clunky and the results are variable. Before I spend any money for the full version, I’d like to find out if there is an alternative.
Thanks, debbizo
Subliminal
permalink   Mon, Aug 23, 2010 @ 10:37 PM
Melodyne Editor can do that. I have tried it a couple of times, but the result depends on the quality of the source recording and you still have to do some editing to get a decent result. At least that is my (admittedly) limited experience with it.

permalink   debbizo Mon, Aug 23, 2010 @ 11:59 PM
Thanks for the information Subliminal. I will look into this one.
gurdonark
permalink   Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 3:06 AM
i use the freeware Wave Goodbye for wav to midi conversion, and then in theory could use the freeware Anvilstudio.com to convert the MIDI to standard notation. With Wave Goodbye, the results are variable, which, for me, is its charm—but probably is not what you’d want.

I believe that commercial technology is better on this, but I am not sure the silver bullet conversion program yet exists. i have not tried melodyne, though, so i cannot say with certainty.

permalink   debbizo Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 3:13 AM
Thanks Gurdonark. I have Anvil Studio but might have a look at Wave Goodbye.

permalink   gurdonark Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 3:22 AM
Debbizo, to save you having to look, I uploaded the zip of the freeware wave goodbye 1.0 to the following box;
http://www.box.net/shared/s...

I’m always pleased that cool software folks share with us.

permalink   debbizo Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 4:49 AM
Thanks so much, I appreciate it. However, when I go to the link I get the message “This shared file or folder link has been removed.”
(tried save target as but that wasn’t working either)

permalink   gurdonark Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 5:04 AM
Let’s try this one:

http://www.box.net/shared/3...

permalink   debbizo Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 6:14 AM
Thanks Bob.That worked.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 5:16 AM
I know what you’re aiming to do - sing the parts you want to get. You’ll probably find the results frustrating with just about any vectoring software you can get that does this, as the computer is basically guessing.

You might spend no more money and get a lot more satisfaction out of getting a MIDI controller (keyboard.) I’ve seen 25 key MIDI controllers for no more than a hundred bucks.

If you’re just playing one note at a time (which is all your voice can do,) you might find that the learning curve isn’t as bad as you might think, and you’ll be a lot happier with the results, since a keyboard is essentially direct entry of the notes.

permalink   debbizo Sun, Sep 26, 2010 @ 6:19 AM
Thanks Admiral. Something to think about. Yes, I was hoping to sing some songs/melodies and either render them directly as midi files and notation (score)…or create a .wav and then convert it to midi/score. Music Masterworks can do it to some degree but it needs a lot of editing ;-) I guess I’ll have to wait for the technology to evolve! Can you explain how a midi controller is different from having a keyboard with a midi cable (I have keyboard but need new USB midi cable)…or how it is different from using the virtual instrument notation? Are there advantages? Thanks, Deb