Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » MARCH MIXUP MADNESS!

MARCH MIXUP MADNESS!

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sun, Feb 21, 2010 @ 9:26 AM
We’re going to get a jump on spring with a new secret mixter! The sign up period for March Mixup Madness is now! You can sign up here. You have until 11:59 p.m. on March 6 to sign up because assignments will go out on March 7. Two weeks after that, March 21, will be the upload date.

If you don’t know what a “secret mixter” is check out the faq.

So put your name in the virtual hat, because I’m sure you want to be part of this rocking’ “secret mixter” party!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Mon, Feb 22, 2010 @ 9:14 AM
i’m counting down the days until we receive our assignment! :D
panu
permalink   Tue, Feb 23, 2010 @ 11:40 AM
can’t wait for this. a chance to hear the best of the best. much better than the Super Bowl & it don’t cost a dime!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 15, 2010 @ 1:09 PM
Hi Panu—I used your comment in the homepage layout. Works perfect thanks.

The upload deadline approaches—hearts are pumpin with anticipation!

Cheers,
jason
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sun, Mar 7, 2010 @ 10:12 AM
The assignments are out! March Mixup Madness is on!
Kamihamiha
permalink   Sun, Mar 7, 2010 @ 6:24 PM
Ive just started to look at the artist ive been assigned, and am worried that it may be unremixable in a melodic or rhythmic fashion. Im gonna give it a bash, But whats the deal if worst comes to worst and i feel i cant do anything that would do the guys experimental work justice?

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Mar 7, 2010 @ 10:35 PM
Everybody is remixable. The challenge and the pleasure of the secret mixter is to give it a bash and see what evolves, even if it is a creative stretch. I think a lot of us wonder the same thing — how am I going to make this work. But I am confident you’ll find a splendid solution!

permalink   Kamihamiha Mon, Mar 8, 2010 @ 1:04 AM
I know what youre saying, just i spent a good 5 hours last night trying to get the samples to even work to a tempo and was pulling my hair out by the end! Im gonna keep trying as i have a few ideas what is possible, its just making it happen is proving to be very difficult :(

permalink   spinningmerkaba Mon, Mar 8, 2010 @ 1:47 PM
try cutting samples from the artists work, and aligning your chosen cuts to the beat…

or…

go ambient and weird…we love that here!

btw-what gear are you using?

permalink   Kamihamiha Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 12:31 AM
Haha ive tried, its bloody solid!
As for ambient and wierd, thats what im going for. Kinda 65 days of static or F*ck Buttons meets a train journey or something. I have a vision for the tune, its just getting it to work isnt easy :(

I usually use a laptop setup with pro tools 8 and reason 4, although i think for this i might crack out my kaoss pad 3 and just ridiculously process the samples in the same way as the person im mixing has done to create the sounds he has!

permalink   Kamihamiha Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 2:11 AM
Actually, you know when somethings blatantly staring you in the face, but you just dont notice it?

7/8 time, how on earth could i miss that…

Lol

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:24 AM
I can’t wait to hear your “challenge”! I am not at all surprised that it ultimately came together for you.

permalink   Kamihamiha Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:28 AM
When i figured out what to do with it it was incredibly easy to be honest, finished it today. In the end i didnt even need to beat match or change tempos or anything, and thats even with it playing in an abstract meter. Iain wins :)

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:30 AM
You’re the third person I have communicated with who is already finished with their secret mix! Wow. It will take me to entire time, I am sure…

permalink   Kamihamiha Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:37 AM
To be fair i think i could take longer and do something very polished and nice. But i think if i spend too much time on it, ill try to do far too much. Im happy with it just now, if anything i may just come back to it to make it a bit longer, but part of my reasoning behind it being very short at present is that the original was about 5 minutes long of repeated glitchyness. Id rather make a 2 minute wonder that keeps the attention than a week long bore.
vo1k1
permalink   Sun, Mar 7, 2010 @ 7:46 PM
For my taste - my assignment is like being a kid in a candy store :)

permalink   Kamihamiha Tue, Mar 9, 2010 @ 7:29 AM
Im that way in general with remixing. Sometimes i just cant find the eclairs right away :)
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sat, Mar 20, 2010 @ 5:04 PM
Time to start uploading mixes for March Mixup Madness! It’s almost 9am on the 21st in Japan-I got a little bit of a late start (it’s 5pm on the 20th here in California)—no worries, we’ve got the next 24hrs to upload secret mixes!!!

Submit them here: http://ccmixter.org/submit

Don’t forget to choose the secret mixter upload box.

Woo-Hoo! Happy Persian New Year!

Jason
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sun, Mar 21, 2010 @ 9:16 AM
The secret mixter mixes are stupendous! Congratulations to everyone for your wonderful work!
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Mon, Apr 5, 2010 @ 8:50 PM
Hey, check out the nice writeup and plug for the Secret Mixter by the very fine folks from the Free Music Archive! (special thanks to Jason and Jason)

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Apr 6, 2010 @ 9:23 PM
and special thanks to Steve for curating the playlist. :)