Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Spam, Not Spam

Spam, Not Spam

victor
permalink   Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 12:07 PM
Recently, about 20 or 30 ccM members were spammed from email from within our system. Basically, two people created accounts here with the express purpose of mass mailing everybody with an account and upload.

We blocked those accounts but only after those 20-30 folks got the spam emails - really sorry about that.

I know it’s little consolation to those folks that got the mail but at least we blocked it in time for the other 20,000 of us.

Having said that - we have sent “official” mail with regards to Secret Mixter and several folks have not replied - I suspect this is because mail from our system is being gobbled up by e-mail spam filters.

PLEASE CHECK YOU SPAM FOLDER for mail from webmaster-mixter@creativecommons.org
or daemon@a4.creativecommons.org and make sure that these addresses are in your “white list” - meaning NOT spam.

Thanks,
VS
essesq
permalink   Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 12:50 PM
Just to clarify, the official mail in question was only sent to participants in this round of Secret Mixter? In general I get stuff from mixter’s official channels (didn’t get the notification the last time I was remixed but found it anyway).

If the official mail you refer to was sent to everyone, I didn’t get it and I don’t have a spam folder, just stuff that comes up in brown saying mail thinks this is junk. My webmail has a spam filter but every time I log on to check it it is empty.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

permalink   victor Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 1:09 PM
if you did not sign up for the secret mixter then you did not get secret mixter mail so don’t bother looking for that.

However, we use the same system for upload/remix/review/recommend notifications etc as well as when folks want to contact you through the site, password reset, etc. - so everyone should look through their spam folder and make sure to add ‘creativecommons.org’ to the “not spam” list.

(There is a small handful of folks who signed up via OpenID and never gave us their e-mail address - this, obviously, does not apply to them as we don’t have their email addr. anyway)
panu
permalink   Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 1:30 PM
thanks for re-sending my SM 6 info, the track of my assigned artist’s music is ready to upload tuesday.

permalink   victor Sat, Aug 22, 2009 @ 4:05 PM
cool - don’t forget to hit the ‘confirm’ page
Alex
permalink   Sun, Aug 23, 2009 @ 2:02 AM
I didn’t got any spam yet! And I’m ready to upload my mix on tuesday!
PhilTheNil
permalink   Sun, Aug 23, 2009 @ 1:02 PM
Sorry, but I received nothing since the 14th of Aug from both addresses and I don’t know how does Google stop spam, so I’m a bit confused. Did I miss some mail or not? That is the question ;-)
Salut
Phil

permalink   victor Sun, Aug 23, 2009 @ 1:11 PM
“if you did not sign up for the secret mixter then you did not get secret mixter mail so don’t bother looking for that.”

permalink   PhilTheNil Mon, Aug 24, 2009 @ 12:53 PM
OK. Thank you.
Have a nice day!