Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Ask samplers and acappellists the key?

Ask samplers and acappellists the key?

Admiral Bob
permalink   Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 4:31 AM
I’m wondering if those submitting samples might be asked the key? For a mixed piece, a couple of plonks on the keyboard to find the pitch will help figure it out.

But for isolated vocals and out of context music parts, I imagine it must be quite a chore figuring out what they sung it in. I usually remember to declare the key on my samples, but it would be good to be reminded, so that if I know, I’ll say.
victor
permalink   Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 9:51 AM
well, I used to have a rationale for why we don’t it but I can’t remember lol.

Considering we have several 1000 now I think it would be useful for anyone to mark a sample with a key considering that many folks have no idea what key their own samples are in….

I’ll have to think about the best way to do that…
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 10:59 AM
yeah, it’s been discussed before, and i think victor’s rightful reasoning was he didn’t want to scare off anyone from submitting something just because they might not know this info.

for someone like me, it’s not a deal breaker if that info isn’t there, as i can figure it out if the arrangement is pretty simple or standard. but i will say that folks that do include this info move to the top of my list of possibilities. same with a bpm tag.

the way i look at it, i’ve already got my work cut out for me so the more information i have to begin with, the more inclined i am to start something.

so yes AB, i heartily endorse your idea and suggestion. and certainly having a searchable field to enter this info when submitting would be helpful, similar to the bpm field. it need not be a required field, but being able to search samples by key would be cool.
Subliminal
permalink   Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 11:39 AM
I agree on the bpm (especially on material with no clear rhythmic elements), but that’s already there. I can see that the key might be useful for some (most?) people. I would probably ignore it, because most of the time I have no clue what key my music/samples are in or what people mean when they mention the key of their stuff. I do mention the time signature though, except for Blind Date, because that would be too much work…
essesq
permalink   Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 5:52 PM
Yes Yes Yes, please ask people, any people, for as much info as possible, or allow a space to plug it in if you are not the originator of the sample. It takes me forever to plonk anything out and I’m never confident I got it right. It’s kept me away from doing lots of stuff I’d like to try for fear of being cited for infraction of the many rules of remixing safety.

So yes, supply any and all information you can and help make the music more accessible for remixing to all. Thanks in advance :-).

permalink   duckett Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 8:12 PM
I’ll chime in here by saying that while surprising and creative results can arise from simply downloading something and messing with it- the more information, the better. If the uploader genuinely has no clue as to the key or bpm of a sample/acapella, I won’t hold it against them, but it always is easier (and more popular for the uploader) to have less guesswork involved in realizing a remix!

permalink   Subliminal Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 10:25 PM
I guess I have not found the section about remixing rules on this site yet. ;-)

I would not let the lack of a key keep me from remixing something. I just try to trust my ears. But if it is convenient for others and people can and will tell me what key my stuff is in then I would be happy to have that info added to my uploads.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Nov 14, 2008 @ 11:03 PM
ok, so now it’s starting to feel like victor’s concerns are starting to surface. there are no rules that say you should submit this info, or even know it. and it shouldn’t discourage anyone either way (submitting source or remixing it) by not knowing it. my original point is it’s just easier for me (and i’m selfish in that kind of way) if i don’t have to try and figure that stuff out if it’s readily available and just not being shared. i also agree that we shouldn’t put too much emphasis on either bpm or key since there’s lots of stuff where neither one is a factor (search weirdbient). i think subliminal raises some good points here about approaching things organically, but i LOVE the folks (like admiral bob) who share this info as he knows it’s something that will ultimately, hopefully result in better by-product. :)

permalink   essesq Sat, Nov 15, 2008 @ 5:43 AM
Well let me make sure that I am clear. I don’t believe that there are any rules for remixing, I was just humorously referencing Loveshadow’s ”Safety Guide to the Online Remix” or whatever he called it. I care about keys, etc. because such information would give me some framework as a novice at songwriting to try to build original material into pieces. It is most definitely not necessary, and for some creators it may not even be desirable information. The last thing this place needs is any kind of dogma period so if my post lead anyone to believe that I was in favor of any restrictions or requirements just wipe it out of your minds. Nothing could be further from the truth.