Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » iTouch/iPhone widget please

iTouch/iPhone widget please

narva9
permalink   Thu, Jul 24, 2008 @ 8:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a iTouch. It’s pretty cool but while you can surf the net you CAN’T listen to anythng at mixter. I noticed that LastFM has an app you can get for free through iTunes that let’s you stream them…..so I thought I’d ask to see if any one knows of a similar thing or if might want to build one.

please please pretty please :-)

n9
teru
permalink   Thu, Nov 27, 2008 @ 1:41 PM
Try a search with grabb.it.

I think this will allow you to listen to some of the music here (?)
morgantj
permalink   Tue, Sep 8, 2009 @ 1:18 PM
Narva9, the way to listen to music now on CCMixter with your itouch is to navigate to the site with the browser and choose the song you want to listen to and click “download,” and your itouch will play the track. Don’t try to click the standard play button.

I agree though, I think a comprehensive iphone app for ccmixter would really be good for the site. Give it a lot more attention, and it could have the potential to be a big hit. Users should be able to listen to music on it, create playlist, select favorites, organize, comment, etc…

Anyone up to the task?
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Tue, Sep 8, 2009 @ 6:01 PM
yeah, an iphone app would be cool, but it’s probably not likely soon.

but in the meantime, it is possible to listen to ccmixter tracks on the iphone/touch by subscribing to a page’s RSS feed. You can get to this by clicking the “podcast this page” link under the Media section in the left sidebar area. for instance, here’s the page showing the latest remixes. here’s the page you see when you click the link.

after clicking the link, look at the pull down menu at the top of the page. choose itunes as the default option (it may ask you to choose an app and you may have to navigate to the itunes app).

click the “subscribe now” button.

open itunes and it should show up under your itunes podcasts. then just refresh it whenever you open itunes (or have it automatically refresh).

you can do this for any page on ccmixter, or any playlist. hope this helps. this way, you can subscribe to the recent remixes, or you can subscribe to an artist you like as well. it’s not an app but it kind of serves the same purpose.

now if someone wanted to make an app, i’d use it!

permalink   victor Wed, Sep 9, 2009 @ 12:36 PM
I don’t get a “pull down menu at the top of the page” - wish I did, but I don’t on iP3G

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Sep 9, 2009 @ 1:17 PM
actually, i didn’t run those steps through on my iphone directly, i did it through itunes on my MacBook and then i synch it to my itunes on my phone.

so yeah, disclaimer. :)

it’s just easier to set it all up on the bigger screen and then synch it. working on that tiny screen is a pain.

which is why people want an easy to use app i guess!

permalink   victor Wed, Sep 9, 2009 @ 3:02 PM
ah - well then just drag the ‘podcast this page’ link to iTunes and your done.

In the iPhone (3) itself you can cut the feed URL and paste into the iTunes app, but yea, it’s all pretty hacky.