Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » a tree button for attribution

a tree button for attribution

_ghost
permalink   Mon, May 21, 2007 @ 12:37 PM
I know there was some discussion about loosing attribution during mixing process (only last person is credited). So how about extra feature “atreebution” ;-) Link to file with all sample/mix genealogy ? (for example in pdf format).
victor
permalink   Tue, May 22, 2007 @ 2:57 PM
yea, again, I would appreciate it if we don’t perpetuate the false meme that somehow credit is lost at ccM, we are, again, the best site on the web for tracking attribution.

we actually had a tree in the first incarnation of ccM and while it was interesting academically it confused a bunch of users and really didn’t make remixing more productive so we figured being one click away from the ‘parent’ would have to do.

we’ve had several really cool graphical projects get almost there so I’ve backed off a boring html/pdf version and made it lower priority, hoping some sexy Java/Flash programmer would step up and finish that…

VS

permalink   gurdonark Tue, May 22, 2007 @ 5:49 PM
I think you make a very good point about the high quality of attribution here. I have had at least one of the magnatune folks compliment the clear and easy attribution here. So it’s not a question of “don’t v. do”, but only of “mixter does great already, is there room for slight improvement”.

I am no expert on java/flash, but I did have an idea that was much less intricate.

I think about how with a youtube video, one can just copy the embed code for the video to put it on one’s page.

What I suggest is simpler than all that hardcore embedding (no puns, please). I suggest that one be able to click on a button at the song’s page that says “click here for an attribution banner”. The banner would be nothing more than a stylish “CCMixter remix—Song credits here!”. The banner, in turn, or more properly perhaps a little badge or box, would be a hyperlink back to the mixter song page. One could copy and paste it into one’s webpage.

Then on the song page, above the list of credits, a little text would say:

“Here are the credited samples for this song. Click on each sample to see any sample credits it provides”.

This solution is inelegant, but it’s useful, not programming-intensive, and it’s an indirect ad for the site, because, voila!, when a webpage post the banner, it brings people to the mixter with one click. It’s also podcaster-friendly, because the webpage or weblog for the podcast could just use the banner to give easy attribution.

I think what mixter has now is great, and it is the best attribution on the web, but this idea still appealed enough to me to suggest here.

permalink   _ghost Thu, May 24, 2007 @ 2:31 PM
Quote: fourstonesyea, again, I would appreciate it if we don’t perpetuate the false meme that somehow credit is lost at ccM, we are, again, the best site on the web for tracking attribution.

Sure, I don`t want to spread that opinion. My intention was to refer to some past discussion about it. Attribution always was and probably will be a subject of polemic here.

Quote: fourstoneswe actually had a tree in the first incarnation of ccM and while it was interesting academically it confused a bunch of users and really didn’t make remixing more productive so we figured being one click away from the ‘parent’ would have to do.

Heh, So looks like I tried to invent a wheel:-)

Quote: fourstoneswe’ve had several really cool graphical projects get almost there so I’ve backed off a boring html/pdf version and made it lower priority, hoping some sexy Java/Flash programmer would step up and finish that…

I am not expert so pdf was only example….
And I agree that this is low priority feature, not connected with “productivity” ;-)and it`s academically interesting (remix genetics) :-)

permalink   duckett Thu, May 24, 2007 @ 6:09 PM
Heh…
How ‘bout them crazy forum genetics?…
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Fri, Jun 15, 2007 @ 4:07 PM
After reading the thread, I can see this being a tough problem to solve. Even if it is technically reasonable, in terms of recursively calculating a track’s full attributional heredity, I think you wouldn’t want this out front. It would be better to have this be an “as requested” thing accessible via a link on the already-solid one-generation attribution in place. Maybe it would say something like, “There is more than one generation of CC music in this track’s heredity. Click here to see.”
tacet
permalink   Sun, Jun 10, 2007 @ 9:20 AM
There’s a number of possible features which make sense in terms of interconnectedness. I understand Victors comment about attribution not being “lost” in that if you look a little harder you can find it. Though, if a remix has more than 2 generations of samples that exercise can become more than a little tedious.

A tree structure does make a lot of sense in solving this, imho….but I can see how the implementation may be tricky.

I also think a tab on everyones profile which lists all the tracks they’re attributed in might be cool.

Attribution is a key part of the rationale behind free culture, I think it’s fair to request a clearer implementation, particularly in view of the new collab features.

meme, where? oh hai, kthxbai ;)