Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » New Feature: Say Whaaaaa?

New Feature: Say Whaaaaa?

victor
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 3:21 AM
Actually, it’s a perennial feature, redone as promised…

The 5-star rating system has been officially replaced with the ‘Recommend!’ style of rating. (Make sure to refresh your browser to catch all the changes.)

If you are logged in and love a track you can use the ‘Recommend!’ button to tell everybody. You do not need to review something first (or ever) to use this feature.

These ratings are not anonymous !

We are keeping track of which tracks you love and at some point we’ll be displaying those in your profile.

For previously uploaded and rated tracks, we (arbitrarily) decided that any upload with an average old-style rating of 4.5 or above is a much beloved track.

For now you can’t “undo” a ‘Recommend’ rating without admin help. When this becomes enough of a pain for the admins we’ll take care of that and allow you to do it yourself.

This is new code that has been tested but please bang away (esp. on Mac and IE7) and report bugs.

[UPDATE Sept. 13] Portions of this thread refer to a temporary verbiage in the buttons and display of this feature. fuggaboutit.
DJ Rkod
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 1:42 PM
Let me be the first to say that I love what you’ve done. It brought a big stupid grin to my face when I saw this on my page.
Fireproof_Babies
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 3:48 PM
Yeah, it’s funny at first; but I think the star system is classier and more universal. Also, I find the stars more aesthetically pleasing and less low-brow. Just my opinion…

permalink   victor Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 4:50 PM
putting irony aside: the daaaaam is a place holder until the ‘real’ thing hits me. The thumb didn’t shrink down enough, we already use ‘favorites’ in the playlists and ‘I (heart) teru’ was just plain corny, even temporarily. All other ideas (and graphic help) welcome.
gurdonark
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 6:05 PM
This transitional step is a step in the right direction. I am not sure it’s “DAAAAM” in the long run, but this has the chance to have the good parts and not the bad parts of a star system.

Also, they’re more like silly fun and less something to worry over.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:26 PM
while the star system had it’s good points, and the idea is certainly good in theory, the problem was it just didn’t accurately reflect the quality distribution of mixes on the site. by it’s construct, a 3 would be considered the mean or average, yet on the site a 3 would probably be considered poor, or at the least that there was some issue with it. at least from where i’m sitting, there were lots of 4’s and 5’s, a few 3’s, and very few lower. so a 3, which should be considered ok, is the low threshold, and 5 is while very nice (and i’m not biting the hands that fed me here) kind of overrated.

it seems to me most people (and i’m squarely in this category) review and rate mixes they like, and generally stay quiet and don’t rate mixes they either don’t like or have issues with. so really, it’s either good or it’s not. we don’t need 5 levels to tell us that.

of course keep in mind that all of this is just OPINION, which is nice but only as important as i want to make it.

so yeah, i like the new system, even though i’ll miss my nice high rating that took years to build.

one interesting observation….i notice that each mix might have a DAMMMM next to it, and might say how many damned it, but the lack of more information makes me want to click the reviews link. it’s like the number of damns entices me (and says at least 1 person liked it enough to recommend it which is really what we are talking about now, not a rating so much as a recommendation), but i have to read the reviews to know what everyone thinks.

permalink   victor Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:38 PM
‘recommend’

oooooooo

I think we have a winner.

you guys are classy!

permalink   plurgid Fri, Sep 14, 2007 @ 5:14 AM
What happened to “Daaaaaaam”???!!

Personally, I think it’d be neat if there were a list of like 4 or 5 synonyms for “daaaaaam” and rotate them randomly. It looks a bit repetitive in a listing with the same word over and over. Of course, they all mean the same thing, it’s just variety.

Some ideas for the list:

“daaaaaam”
“this rocks”
“peep this, yo”
“it’s a banger”
“recommends”

Just sayin’… I loved “daaaaam” it had a certain irreverence and hipness, much like most of the mixters I’ve met here. It seemed to fit well. “recommends” seems sterile by contrast.

Gotta respect all the work that went into it one way or the other. Much props, Victor.

permalink   victor Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 8:11 PM
I got the ‘Recommend’ version on the test site and it looks great, I’ll let the current wording ride for a little bit then change over soon.

permalink   Fireproof_Babies Thu, Sep 13, 2007 @ 5:11 AM
“Recommend” is much better!

permalink   Transistor Karma Fri, Sep 14, 2007 @ 10:33 AM
Quote: Fireproof_Babies“Recommend” is much better!

I prefer “recommend” too. “I like it” could be another option…
stefsax
permalink   Wed, Sep 12, 2007 @ 7:27 PM
Great idee,funny,
_ghost
permalink   Sat, Sep 15, 2007 @ 12:29 AM
Maybe this wouldn`t be new idea but how about auto replacing “recommend” by other description after amount of “recommends” will exceed certain limit.
For example:

below 10 recommend
below 15 superb
below 20 extraordinary
above 20 mixter classic !
ROSSI
permalink   Sun, Sep 16, 2007 @ 5:08 AM
gonna have to agree with MC Jack in the Box, although I have to admit I do miss my beloved stars
teru
permalink   Mon, Sep 17, 2007 @ 10:01 AM
I like Recommend. I’m not sure I love it. Personally I’d like to see a pick system. Something that makes the the current ED pick system more interactive.

As one of the EDs I’m finding it increasingly difficult to find things to pick due to the rising quality of remixes. Anything to help find the creme would be most excellent. : )