Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Security keys are annoying

Security keys are annoying

Uncool Bob
permalink   Fri, Jun 2, 2006 @ 5:25 AM
It seems like I’m not the only one.

http://it.slashdot.org/arti...

I really find it difficult to figure out the font used at ccMixter - distinguising lower case, uppercase and numbers in particular. Although I suppose I’m getting used to it now.
victor
permalink   Wed, Jun 14, 2006 @ 4:39 PM
There are 16 characters:

0 (the circle with a line through it)
a
b
c
d
e
f

so, no, there’s no ‘s’

I really would love to make it easier to read, the fact that over 200 users got email spam over the weekend from an abuse of our system (that has since been fixed) I’m very wary of making things easier for those guys.

VS
Luke Tripp
permalink   Wed, Jun 14, 2006 @ 3:44 PM
The codes are fine. I agree with what else was said. The font is just to hard to read. Just looking now as I type this, I can see a problem, is it an 8 or an S? Old English would be easier to understand… Atleast lowercase old english.
jeroensnake
permalink   Thu, Jun 8, 2006 @ 6:44 PM
i say graffiti. does that work?
Clive Mollart
permalink   Fri, Jun 2, 2006 @ 12:05 PM
Yup I had same problem. I had several attempts before I got the right Key. I think I`ve got the hang of it now. It was the lowercase I could`nt work out
victor
permalink   Fri, Jun 2, 2006 @ 12:22 PM
“This Microsoft research paper - http://www.ceas.cc/papers-2... (PDF) - found in 2005 that computers are now better than humans at solving CAPTCHAs based on alphabetic characters.” [ via ]

yea sorry about that but looking at the server logs and the huge amount of attempts to post spam turns out to be a slight inconvenience on each post versus 1,000s of spam messages that would be coming through.

VS

permalink   gurdonark Fri, Jun 2, 2006 @ 1:16 PM
I am all for having codes. But the particular font does make numbers look like letters and vice versa, sometimes, 0 and D type of things. I understand, though, if this difficult font is what is required to fend off the spam.