Deep Roots Remix Event
skip
Home » Forums » Help » JFK Inauguration audio - copyright ?

JFK Inauguration audio - copyright ?

martinsea
permalink   Sat, Feb 2, 2019 @ 2:39 AM
Hi,
we are working on a track where we want to include some sentences from the JFK inauguration address. Anybody know whether this is protected under copyright ? Any ideas whether we can combine with cc stems and use the CC Attribution(Non commercial ) license ?
If anyone can help on this, it would be much appreciated. Best, Martin
Apoxode
admin
permalink   Sun, Feb 3, 2019 @ 3:43 AM
According to www.jfklibrary.org it is public domain.

As long as the cc stems are compatible with a CC-BY-NC license AND are not BY-ND or BY-NC-ND, you can do anything you want with them as long as they are properly attributed. Posting them here is always your best bet — just include attribution info about any cc stems that are not available here.

While you don’t even have to acknowledge the public domain samples, I think it’s good form to cite them and provide information on how to get them. This alleviates concerns about copyright and educates people interested in using them for their own projects.

TL;DR

The JFK speech is public domain, and you can combine excerpts with cc stems under a CC-BY-NC license.

permalink   martinsea Tue, Feb 5, 2019 @ 1:37 AM
Hi Apoxode, many thanks, I keep getting confused about the different licences and want to do things properly.
We are still working on the track— but now I« m not sure that the JFK part is going to stay, maybe in a different project…
Best Martin

” If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.”

permalink   Apoxode Tue, Feb 5, 2019 @ 4:07 AM
I’m happy to help!

:)