Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Youtube monetizing problems using ccmixter

Youtube monetizing problems using ccmixter

stylebypeyton
permalink   Fri, Aug 16, 2013 @ 4:35 PM
I am trying to use CC license song from this site for one of my videos. I monetize to make some change, since I am a student, and I have not other form of income. The song I used has a CC license and I attributed according to how they wanted it to be done. Youtube has been yanking me around for over a month, and today said that the license I “provided was not issued by the appropriate rights holder” and that the website “Terms of use do not grant me sufficient commercial use rights”. They want me to get a written contract from the rights owner (which I contacted and have not heard back yet).

Has anyone else run into this problem, or are you a rights owner who has had to help someone deal with Youtube?

I have used this artists’ other songs in other projects with no problem, and I can see where the song is used in over 10 pages of videos that are monetized.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Peyton
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 10:42 AM
Was the track you used a cc-by license? Did you attribute properly per license terms?

If the track you used was a cc-by-nc license it would be pulled as those licenses to not permit commercial use.

Meanwhile, I am checking in with other admins to see what they have to say about this.

permalink   stylebypeyton Sat, Aug 17, 2013 @ 9:54 PM
It was a cc by 3.0 with attribution. I put the following per the artists request.

“Chords For David” by Pitx (feat. jlbrock)
http://ccmixter.org/files/P...
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/...

I also put it in my video at the end.

I do not see where it can’t be used commercially, it actually says can be used for commercial projects. I had already used another song by the same artist without a problem.

I think that Youtube is using an automated system now, since I have another video with music (from another site) with the same license that has not been approved yet, while two others have had no problems.

Any help or information would be great. I have not heard back from the artist, and I am under a time limit by Youtube. I am thinking that I will have to take the video down and edit with new music. Too bad I have so many views since it has been up for over a month now, and I have jumped through every hoop they have wanted me to along the way.

permalink   My Free Mickey Thu, Sep 5, 2013 @ 11:54 PM
I had a similar request not long a go.
Same problem with youtube as with the artist.(me) I never respond neither :p

Quote: stylebypeytonI have not heard back from the artist, and I am under a time limit by Youtube. I am thinking that I will have to take the video down and edit with new music.

Are you sure the artist understands the concept of “when I snap my fingers you drop everything and serve me like some god”