Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Light Ringing/Distortion In Uploaded Remixes

Light Ringing/Distortion In Uploaded Remixes

Donkey Horse Mule
permalink   Sat, Jul 2, 2011 @ 8:28 PM
All of the remixes that I have loaded into ccMixter play with a slight distortion/ringing on this site. In the original program that I create the songs (Reason 5.0 and Record 1.5) there is no distortion (and no clipping). I typically export from Reason to a wav file and then convert to mp3 from wav using Audacity. If I play the wav or mp3 in iTunes or Media Player I do not get any distortion or ringing.

I do, however, get distortion in Audacity if I play the the track at a sample rate of 44100 Hz or lower. If played at a higher rate, then no distortion or ringing in Audacity either.

Finally, if I download my tracks from ccMixter and play in iTunes or Media Player or Record then there is no distortion or ringing. They play fine. They play fine burned to cd and played on a stereo system.

I am hoping someone might have an answer for the following questions:

1. Is there a recommended bit and sample rate that people use prior to converting to mp3? I typically use 16 bit with dither and 96000 Hz or higher for my waves.

2. Does anybody else use Reason/Record and do you have the same issue with your uploads?

3. What sample rate does ccMixter replay at? Or is this not a valid question?

4. Or perhaps it has nothing to do with sample rate?

A track of mine that is a good example is “Dark Water Woman”, which has ringing on the first drum kick, though even my ukelele sample has distortion/ringing and this has no low end. I actually originally thought it was caused by low end or clipping, but it continues despite high pass filters and a check on clipping.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   Donkey Horse Mule Wed, Jul 27, 2011 @ 6:39 PM
Thanks for replying. I tried re-uploading the track with the above sample rate and bit applied and it didn’t help. But… I actually listened to one of your tracks (pretty sweet BTW) and heard the same ringing/distortion on the bass kick. I also caught it on somebody else’s track too. It would seem to be an issue outside of my file, perhaps with the application that is used to stream the mp3 on the site. I have the same issue in Bandcamp though not in YouTube. I can eliminate the file, soundcard and headphones as I have testedo on multiple devices and, as mentioned, song comes through fine on headphones if in iTunes, Media Player or YouTube.

Bummah