Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Could I host a remix competition online, for a "prize?"

Could I host a remix competition online, for a "prize?"

n23ova
permalink   Tue, Jul 4, 2006 @ 6:34 PM
Could I host a remix competition of songs from the Wired magazine samples, found here on this site? The contestants would only be allowed to choose from songs/samples that are under a “sampling + 1.0” license. The “prize” would be music-making software to the winner of this competition.

I have read the terms but am still not totally sure that receiving a prize for uploading or sending a winning entry to this competition would violate the terms of this specific license.

“You are free:

To sample, mash-up, or otherwise creatively transform this work for commercial or noncommercial purposes.

To perform, display, and distribute copies of this whole work for noncommercial purposes (e.g., file-sharing or noncommercial webcasting).”

Thanks in advance for your help!
admin
permalink   Tue, Jul 4, 2006 @ 8:28 PM
Questions about what music is legal to use in what context comes up regularly (understandably) but we’re just not equipped (or allowed) to give out legal advice about specific usage scenarios here.

I’ve posted a sticky thread that goes into it with a little more detal.

Thanks,
VS
pjburnhill
permalink   Fri, Aug 18, 2006 @ 7:35 PM
The legal issue aside, just out of curiosity, would you be willing to host a remix competition of another material which would be legal?

I guess the best thing would be to contact you directly.

Not that I’m planning on doing one.. at the moment, at least ;)
victor
permalink   Fri, Aug 18, 2006 @ 8:19 PM
Decisions like that are made above my pay scale. You want Eric at CC.

VS