Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Collaboration

Collaboration

lo tag blanco
permalink   Tue, Apr 11, 2006 @ 5:37 PM
Not sure if this has been requested yet (i didn’t see a forum search - feature request!), but…

Is there any way to add something that helps a number of users collaborate on one mix? At the high end of this would be a set of tools that users can access to manage the development of a mix (maybe cvs-like? with a cool beat in the background?), and at the low end this would simply be a way to attribute multiple authors to a mix (or maybe a new category? collaborative remixes?).
victor
permalink   Tue, Apr 11, 2006 @ 9:31 PM
regarding search the forums: I’m not sure why google see them sometimes and sometimes not — lately not. I haven’t been too stressed about it because the long term plan is to replace the implementation with the code we use for reviews.

regarding collaboration: we’re obivously not set up for that, in fact it’s a different kind of site that you’re talking about in the big version and the minor version might be tricky but I’ll thinking about it.

In the meantime we will never be as full fledged as say http://myvirtualband.com which is yet another music site that uses CC license. Before I go off and do a half-hearted job here, I’d much prefer to hook up with them to see if there’s any synergy that could be done between the two sites.

Peace,
Victor
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Tue, Apr 11, 2006 @ 11:44 PM
I agree that a CC collab site would be helpful. I actually think the way this site is set up is closer to what is needed than the consistently forum-based collab sites I’ve seen (here’s a link to a list I created about a year ago). The "post" container of ccMixter(not sure what it’s called) that holds remixes, samples, etc could hold the tracks submitted for projects in process. The tags could be used for so many things that people on the collab sites try to cram into the forum subject lines and the posts themselves (especially requests for specific instruments or for vocals). So, for example, a vocalist could easily search for projects requesting vocals or a guitarist for guitar requests if tags were in place - on the forum-based sites, the process is much more cumbersome. Even more cumbersome is the management of the project itself - usually separate FTP servers, email, etc. are used rather than having file storage/service capabilities on the site itself. I was actually thinking about this kind of thing last night - it would be quite a project to take the ccMixter source and change it, but I think the end result could be the most effective songwriter’s/ home recordist’s collaboration site online. I have not seen a site for collaborating on music that is anywhere near as well-designed as ccMixter is for remixing music. My 2 cents….. .. .
senecal
permalink   Sun, Apr 16, 2006 @ 11:15 PM
Hi Guys,

We are currently working on the second version of http://www.myvirtualband.com (MVB 2.0) which will continue to use CC licenses and far exceed a forum-based collab site.

Regards,
Kelly Senecal
MVB Co-Founder
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Mon, Apr 17, 2006 @ 1:24 AM
Quote: "senecal"working on the second version of http://www.myvirtualband.com (MVB 2.0)

Glad to hear it….After trying out a few of the collab sites, being frustrated about how cumbersome the forums were for managing collab projects, and then spending time on this site through one major and a few minor releases, I’ve spent a fair amount of time thinking about how a collab site might be designed. If you are interested in conceptual design contributors, let me know. And good luck….I think there is a big void right now that will be filled by the first site that gets online collab right, and it’d be AWESOME if that site was aligned with CC….. .. .