Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Is Using Voicemail Samples Illegal?

Is Using Voicemail Samples Illegal?

mutant
permalink   Tue, Mar 21, 2006 @ 6:33 PM
I’m making music which uses voicemail audio samples.
I don’t sell the music. I just put it on my website.

The callers are unaware their voicemail is being used.
I want to possibly call the people back and let them know about their song and record that phonecall to make companion songs to the original ones. But i’m afraid that once the people are aware of the song they might sue me.

Is any of this illegal, does it violate any copyright laws?

tanks.
shagrugge
permalink   Tue, Mar 21, 2006 @ 6:54 PM
Quote: I’m making music which uses voicemail audio samples.
I don’t sell the music. I just put it on my website.

The callers are unaware their voicemail is being used.
I want to possibly call the people back and let them know about their song and record that phonecall to make companion songs to the original ones. But i’m afraid that once the people are aware of the song they might sue me.

Is any of this illegal, does it violate any copyright laws?

tanks.

well I’m not a lawyer and I don’t think anyone else on the site is…

but interestingly enough…it feels like more and more the calls we make to businesses are being recorded. I can’t make a phone call to a company these days without getting that message about

"this call may be monitored or recorded for quality or training purposes"..

perhaps if you add one of those to your phone calls then everything will be fine. I have been tempted to begin recording my calls to those companies…since they are recording me.

"This call may be monitored or recorded for remixing and creative purposes."
victor
permalink   Tue, Mar 21, 2006 @ 10:07 PM
yea, this just isn’t a good place to give or get legal advice; I would strongly advise against either.

VS
mutant
permalink   Wed, Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:04 AM
I just assumed that with the specific aspect of sampling here along with the whole CC thing, someone might have some general information.

I should learn that I never seem to do well with online forums. I usually only get so far as to make one initial post and upload my neat avatar.

tanks anyways.
victor
permalink   Wed, Mar 22, 2006 @ 1:14 AM
you know what: sorry, didn’t mean to be short but I’ve been explicitly warned against anything that sounds like actual legal advice.

There are several lists where CC lawyers actually hang out and while they also don’t give legal advice they at least take the questions ;)

http://lists.ibiblio.org/ma...

VS
jeroensnake
permalink   Sat, May 13, 2006 @ 5:01 PM
imagine you are on a market, lots of people. You decide to record some random noise, but some people talk so loud that you can hear and understand them when playing the record. Do you have to call all those people?

Now you only heard the record once, but its cool. You play it for some of your friends. Of course its digital and you can easily copy it to anyone who likes it. A friend does. He’s thinks its cool to use the record in a song. Does he have to call all those people?

That friend does nothing with that song. But a year later, his little brother found the songs which includes the record. He never askes his brother, but uses some samples from that one-year old song. His new song becomes a small hit because his friend was a DJ on a festival somewhere. Did he forgot to call some people?

Now a producer in the audience of the crowd at the festival hears the song and thinks "WOW!". He tracks down the little brother and tells him that he can make a lot of money with that song.

Now you are that little brother. Please explain what you would do, what you could do, and what you should do… im confused.