Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Text-To-Speech audio

Text-To-Speech audio

Apoxode
admin
permalink   Sat, Jul 14, 2018 @ 12:31 PM
(Wasn’t sure if this should be OT or DIY, I have no problems with this getting moved)

Here’s a tricky question: Do you own the speech generated by TTS? Can you record it, make music with it, copyright it, and make money with it?

This article is a good starting point for discussion: Copyrights of Recorded Output made by Speech Synthesis via Web Speech API on Chrome.

The primary focus was on Chrome, but the far reaching question concerns any speech generator. What about Alexa? What about Siri? What about the TTS reader that comes with your operating system?

The answer is found in the EULA of the software used. Since that’s where we get into the realm of legal issues, the best thing I propose is to require everyone to indicate what they used to generate the computer speech in their uploads and just assume non-commercial only until proven otherwise.

Your thoughts?
IS
permalink   Wed, Jul 18, 2018 @ 12:13 AM
Quote: Apoxode(Wasn’t sure if this should be OT or DIY, I have no problems with this getting moved)

Here’s a tricky question: Do you own the speech generated by TTS? Can you record it, make music with it, copyright it, and make money with it?

This article is a good starting point for discussion: Copyrights of Recorded Output made by Speech Synthesis via Web Speech API on Chrome.

The primary focus was on Chrome, but the far reaching question concerns any speech generator. What about Alexa? What about Siri? What about the TTS reader that comes with your operating system?

The answer is found in the EULA of the software used. Since that’s where we get into the realm of legal issues, the best thing I propose is to require everyone to indicate what they used to generate the computer speech in their uploads and just assume non-commercial only until proven otherwise.

Your thoughts?

I’m thinking that I would just use a VST if it wasn’t already built into the DAW I use. There’s a bunch of them out there, also a bunch that can even sing. For regular free2use TTS, check out for example VST Speek. Aquastone are more expensive but can sing etc.

Should be safe to use for music anyway.

If you don’t have a DAW that can carry VSTs, then you can download LMMS for free, a FL Studio clone that can carry VSTs.

permalink   Apoxode Wed, Jul 18, 2018 @ 12:03 PM
Thank you for your response!

Quote: “I’m thinking that I would just use a VST if it wasn’t already built into the DAW I use. There’s a bunch of them out there, also a bunch that can even sing.”

I almost completely agree, except I’m concerned that the VST itself could be considered derivative of software like Apple, which has expressed “non-commercial use only” in their EULAs. What’s the oversight for VSTs? Could people theoretically take unlicensed software and pop it into their own? For example, VST Speek is just SAM. I’m not trying to say it’s stolen, just that if SAM was “non-commercial use” and I didn’t know, then using VST Speek would also have to be “non-commercial use.”

Thank you for your suggestions on where to find TTS/speech generators, but the question I’m asking is if their output needs to be regulated here before people can claim licenses.

permalink   IS Wed, Jul 18, 2018 @ 2:13 PM
Quote: ApoxodeThank you for your response!

Quote: “I’m thinking that I would just use a VST if it wasn’t already built into the DAW I use. There’s a bunch of them out there, also a bunch that can even sing.”

I almost completely agree, except I’m concerned that the VST itself could be considered derivative of software like Apple, which has expressed “non-commercial use only” in their EULAs. What’s the oversight for VSTs? Could people theoretically take unlicensed software and pop it into their own? For example, VST Speek is just SAM. I’m not trying to say it’s stolen, just that if SAM was “non-commercial use” and I didn’t know, then using VST Speek would also have to be “non-commercial use.”

Thank you for your suggestions on where to find TTS/speech generators, but the question I’m asking is if their output needs to be regulated here before people can claim licenses.

You will become automatically super famous if Microsoft sues you for using Speek VST in a CC licensed track. Win-win.

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Jul 20, 2018 @ 7:52 AM
Hoo-wee! That would be some boost — more like super infamy, I’d have a rough time registering any of their products, LOL. I could get SAM to drop some gangster rap FTW.

permalink   IS Mon, Jul 23, 2018 @ 12:59 AM
Quote: ApoxodeHoo-wee! That would be some boost — more like super infamy, I’d have a rough time registering any of their products, LOL. I could get SAM to drop some gangster rap FTW.
Seriously, tons of well-known tracks are using synthetic vocals with various effects to them, and I strongly doubt that any of the synthetic voice creators have contacted the likes of U96 and Snap and asked them what program they used to do it.
I guess I don’t really consider it a big deal, especially not so, because I have one I have paid for. It was part of my DAW. But I would just use something like Speek VST without worries if I hadn’t.