Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Remix event idea: "Buried Treasure Challenge"?

Remix event idea: "Buried Treasure Challenge"?

duckett
permalink   Tue, Sep 19, 2017 @ 6:55 AM
I was thinking- one of the things I’ve done in the past was to prowl samples/acapellas for anything that had no reviews or recommends, and often had been sitting on the site for a goodly amount of time. Why not shine some light and breathe some fresh air into the darker, dustier corners of ccMixter?
Abstract Audio
permalink   Fri, Sep 22, 2017 @ 7:17 AM
I had been thinking of something similair. A remix event around a certain year from the past.
Doxent Zsigmond
permalink   Wed, Oct 4, 2017 @ 7:22 AM
That’s a pretty good idea. There is a lot of valuable material waiting for discovery. Usually involves a lot of clicking to get into. Browsing material by year and date would be a great feature.

permalink   duckett Fri, Oct 6, 2017 @ 8:18 PM
One of the ways I’d approach it would be to browse through “People”- the last page is the oldest/first members, the first page, the most recent. Looking for neglected uploaders takes a little more work, but a method I like is to pick a random letter. Just now, I picked “j”. This is where the patience comes in- I start looking for unfamiliar names that joined a while ago, and look at their uploads. A great number of people join, upload one remix (often for a contest, etc.), don’t really participate otherwise, and aren’t heard from again. These I skip. OK, so not a lot in the 1st page results for “j”… let’s try page 7. Hmm, here’s “Jim Guittard (JGidd)”, with 15 sample zips/vocal uploads, 2 recommends and no reviews, all from 2008. The sample packs are separated by instrument, and he offers an archive.org link to hear the full mix. The mp3 previews are multitracked, effected vocal stems, so not totally ideal, but certainly usable- why worry about comfort zones or pristine recordings when remixing? I’m going to see what develops between me and “Beach”. Hope this helps ;-)